Sources For Kitchen Garden Window? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sources for kitchen garden window?

I am trying to find sources for a 3' x 3' replacement kitchen garden window. Lowe's and Home Depot carry very limited options. I could go with one of them, but I'd like to find out what else might be available. Google searches just aren't getting me anywhere, so I thought maybe some in this forum could suggest manufacturers or retail sources.

When I've gone to building supply places, there seems to be a lot of initial confusion on what a kitchen garden window (also called a "plant window") is, so here's a pic of what I want to replace.

Name:  Garden Window.jpg
Views: 23886
Size:  21.5 KB

Thanks, Eric

Advertisement

Eric in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Good luck. Not sure if they even make them any more. Every HO I ever knew that had one, had the removal of it on the top of their list for us when we did any renovations to their house.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Good luck. Not sure if they even make them any more. Every HO I ever knew that had one, had the removal of it on the top of their list for us when we did any renovations to their house.

Troubleseeker, I'm also looking into installing a garden window into my new home. I appreciate your comment, but could you please be more specific... Why do all these HOs hate their garden windows? My "pros" so far are: more light, bigger feel, room for my cactus garden. If the window is new and from a reputable manufacturer and is installed correctly, it should be fun? What are the "cons"??? Thanx.
jo4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #4

Hi Eric, just ran across your post (from a year ago about the garden window). I'm also looking to install one into the home I just purchased. I'm running into the exact same questions you have described... Do you have some tips for me? Thanx!

Last edited by jo4sho; 05-27-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
jo4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #5

jo4sho, I went with an Accu-Weld unit which I got at Lowes. Series # is 7500 and price was $570...less 20% during one of their periodic special order window specials.

http://accuweld.com/content/windows/garden_windows.htm

We've had a lot of positive comments from others about the looks, and several other people have said they are going to install the same unit in their condo to replace the original one. So far it's been thru one hurricane and several nor'easters and hasn't leaked a drop, fogged up or had any other problems at all.

As you can see, I had no useful responses to my original inquiry here at this site, so I've never tried asking about any other projects.

Good luck in your search and job.
Eric in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I bought (2) slim windows & a matching 4' picture window & made my own - $210. The top can be solid - roofed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Very few manufacturers anymore, because they had a lot of problems. The ones that still are made are probably not worth buying.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #8

We recently had new siding installed and asked about a garden window for the kitchen and, while the siding company also does windows (and is very reputable around here), they said they would not install one because no quality manufacturers make them anymore due to leak problems.
poger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Harvey Industries makes Garden windows.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

So does Alside.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric in NC View Post
I am trying to find sources for a 3' x 3' replacement kitchen garden window. Lowe's and Home Depot carry very limited options. I could go with one of them, but I'd like to find out what else might be available. Google searches just aren't getting me anywhere, so I thought maybe some in this forum could suggest manufacturers or retail sources.

When I've gone to building supply places, there seems to be a lot of initial confusion on what a kitchen garden window (also called a "plant window") is, so here's a pic of what I want to replace.

Attachment 3463

Thanks, Eric
blockwindowsystems.com or sears actually can get them and install for your. Kinda costly thou.
scott noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

the only quality garden window i have used,for kitchens is at vinyl-lite window factory.they ship to me in a crate -love its look-slim lines-
vinyl-lite.com has info,

Advertisement

mike bush is offline   Reply With Quote