Soundproof Windows - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soundproof windows

I read a great post on this website from a year or so ago on the subject (someone named Oberon) and wanted to see if anyone could help me with my particular problem. I live in chicago about a block away from the El (elevated public transit) and I am having some trouble with train noise in a few rooms in my house. I live in a recently renovated house with new double pane windsor windows and would like to think about options to soundproof them. I have been reading a fair amount on the subject and it seems like the best option is to install a second or storm window made of laminated glass with a 3 inch buffer between the glass and the existing window. I am encountering two problems with this approach.

On my double hung windows I don't really have any room on ths inside of the window and I am concerned about the aesthetics of a second double hung window protruding from the facade on the outside. I am wondering if I could install fixed panes over some of the windows that we really never intend to open or if that won't really help the problem because the noise will still come through the other windows and overall it will seem just as loud.

My other issue is I have Casement windows in half of my house and I am not sure if anyone produces a second laminated casement window that operates on the same crank. I have more space behind these windows but do not really want to install a fixed pane and turn them all into inoperable windows.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

jlleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Soundproof windows

I am having some trouble with train noise in a few rooms in my house.
The walls may act as diaphragms and so the sound comes through the walls and is amplified by walls. . .?
Also, the train noise picks up resonances in almost everything because it is so loud.
The lower the freqs., the larger the objects that will be resonant.

I live in a recently renovated house with new double pane windsor windows and would like to think about options to soundproof them.
A guy living in Germany who recently posted photos on this forum has windows in southeastern Germany that attenuate highway noise by 49 decibels.
Don't p#ss him off, though.

I have been reading a fair amount on the subject and it seems like the best option is to install a second or storm window made of laminated glass with a 3 inch buffer between the glass and the existing window.
I think your options are to reflect the sound or absorb the sound. These low freq. train noises might be very hard to weaken, even with heavy drapes.

You might be able to change the sound into more of a loud groan, depending on what freqs. you attenuate.

Ask the transit people. Commercial buildings have the same problems and they have some clout when looking for solutions.

One option is to rent a spectrum analyzer with microphone to see what you're up against, to see the best you can practically achieve.
Acoustic electromechanical "circuits", that is, loudspeakers and microphones and phono cartridges, all have analogies with electrical circuits.
Following this analogy, the train is inputting a large signal into a circuit [your place] and you want to use a low pass or bandpass or high pass filter to remove that signal from the output of the circuit [so you don't hear it in your rooms].
If the train noise energy is concentrated at certain freqs., you want to use notch filters tuned to those freqs.

You also want to deaden resonances, like that which brought down the Tacoma Narrows bridge. This requires a material that changes the sound energy into [a very small amount of] heat.

I think the best you can do is to change the characteristics of the sound[that is, the spectrum] into something less objectionable.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Soundproof windows

Something else occurs to me \/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...lation+tech%22

It may not apply, yet, to your application.
It may never apply. Your acoustic problem is pretty complex.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sound , soundproof , windows