Something Ate The Finish On My New Kitchen Table! :( - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Something ate the finish on my new kitchen table! :(

So I'm not sure what happened but it looks like something got between the table cloth and the table last night and ate away whatever the black finish on the top of the table in a small spot.. I don't think its an actual chip because the edges are smooth.

According to the manufacturers site it is a lacquer finish

How can I fix this ?

Advertisement

SteveB87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Laquer is a lousy finish for a kitchen table. It isn't durable and it does not take heat or liquids well at all. Catalyzed laquer would have been a better finish for them to apply but it is pricey.

You can restore the black to the damaged spot on the table with some india ink (wipe on, wipe off). Then get yourself a can of glossy deft laquer and shoot the area that need repair. Do two or three light coats an hour or so apart. No need to sand between coats with laquer.

I'd recommend trying it on the underside first to make sure the laquer they used is compatible with Deft. If it doesn't dry then there is a problem.

Do not mistake spray polyurethane for laquer. Not the same thing at all.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
expert handyman

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, another handyman fix you can try is automotive T/U paint. Buy black and test underneath or an inconspicuous area and if it works you will not have to sand between coats. If you want a perfect match buy a small paint brush like the kind in a (kids) water color set. Heat is uasually the culpret, try to always use place mats. It can happen on any surface.

link removed
If you wish to advertise on this site please contact an Administrator
Thank you
Destinhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote