Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Some questions about installing new garage door on old opener and other stuff

Hello all, love this place.

So I have a 1/2 hp older Craftsman garage door opener (see blurry pics, apparently I don't have steady hands) and I am hoping that I can purchase and install a newer metal door with the railing myself. I took a picture of the way it attaches to the door and it looks as though I could do it, but should I? I figure it has the juice to do it because I imagine the wood, watersoaked and all, weighs about the same if not more than a metal door would.

Would I be able to add an electric eye to the unit?

What is with those wires sticking out of the side of the unit? There's a white one, a red one, and a black one so I am assuming it is for some kind of light....

Should the pulley system be level? I noticed when I was taking the pictures that it is higher towards the garage door and sags towards the opener, leaving it a bit low to the ground anyways.

Any suggestions or bits of information would be appreciated too. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Some questions about installing new garage door on old opener and other stuff-dscn1088.jpg   Some questions about installing new garage door on old opener and other stuff-dscn1091.jpg   Some questions about installing new garage door on old opener and other stuff-dscn1095.jpg  

Skeletor916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

The garage door opener should work just fine with a new door.

If you get a door with a torsion spring mounted externally in the middle of the header, have a pro to do the install.

A Wayne Dalton door from Lowe's can be installed by a DIY'er as the springs are adjusted by using a ratched and they are incased in a housing.

Last edited by bradnailer; 01-23-2009 at 10:04 AM.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

From what I can see from your pic. The Red, White and Black wires go to a receiving unit which I assume you don't have. Without that a remote won't work. The wall pushbutton would, provided the opener works.

Installation instructions for the door will come with it. As mentioned above, both Home Depot and Lowes offer roll-up doors at a fair price. Metal doors today are mostly aluminum and weigh about half of what your one-piece door does.