Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

A solution for doorbells you can't hear?

Hey guys,

Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem: doorbells you can't hear.

It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of who is at the door directly to your phone. The wireless doorbell has 3 modes: chime mode only, photo mode only, and chime/photo mode.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has opinions/suggestions for my "photo" doorbell project because I want this to be the best project I can make.

biz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,470

Your phone needs a Ding-A- Ling / Photo mode.

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Your phone needs a Ding-A- Ling / Photo mode.
I'm also working on an iPhone app which alerts you with a picture.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Great idea! Keep me posted! Just because I am sure you need other things to think about? My "doorbell" is floors below me. There is a common camera that works currently through a closed circuit television circuit but I dumped my television and land phone ages ago. I find I have no need for either anymore. It should be no major problem to hook my end of the current buzzer to a transmitter of some kind though?

Last edited by user1007; 10-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Great idea! Keep me posted!
I will...

There are already systems which allow you to put a video camera on the front door and have that video feed transmitted to your iPhone or other smartphone. You can even talk to people at your door through your phone.

My idea just sends a photo alert. So, if you are in your backyard, for example, and just want to know when someone is at your door, a picture is sent to your phone.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just saying my situation, and that of other tall building dwellers, is central. I would have to tap the central camera system and build some sort of transmitter to my end of the buzzer system to make your idea work. I like it though.

I usually know and expect whomever is ringing my buzzer to get it but we have no doorman per se and some people just release the door automatically.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Just saying my situation, and that of other tall building dwellers, is central. I would have to tap the central camera system and build some sort of transmitter to my end of the buzzer system to make your idea work. I like it though.

I usually know and expect whomever is ringing my buzzer to get it but we have no doorman per se and some people just release the door automatically.
Yea, I feel that I have to design one for apartments because buzzers are much more in use in apartments than single homes.

Would you prefer a live video feed or a photo?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Great idea.
Live video feed would be great but probably not as quick to get to the phone. A picture would probably be best because a picture can be sent quicker.
How are you going to have the picture sent to the phone? Is it via an SMS, email or something else? In my opinion I think that the speed in which the picture comes through on the phone would be key. Otherwise the person will be gone by the time you go to the door.
NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtransplant View Post
Great idea.
Live video feed would be great but probably not as quick to get to the phone. A picture would probably be best because a picture can be sent quicker.
How are you going to have the picture sent to the phone? Is it via an SMS, email or something else? In my opinion I think that the speed in which the picture comes through on the phone would be key. Otherwise the person will be gone by the time you go to the door.

I'm planning to send the photo via a mobile app. Also, assuming the video and photo it to you equally fast, what would you want? Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I feel that a photo is more convenient because the point is to have a quick alert, not a security system. Or am I wrong on this?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz123 View Post
Yea, I feel that I have to design one for apartments because buzzers are much more in use in apartments than single homes.

Would you prefer a live video feed or a photo?
I have no preference but I think you will find most apartment buildings with cameras will have some sort of video feed. As mentioned, in this building the image is sent to a dedicated channel on a person's tv. Irrelevant, if like me, you do not have a television. Something that was sent wirelessly to my laptop, tablet or phone would be great. Essentially, I guess the concept would be to replace the existing technology stuck in the wall with something for wireless devices.

The trick will be to capture whatever image but as specific to each buzzer code. Your challenge is to tap the front door image feed but as it pertains to each apartment, condo, etc.

Of course the other function served by currrent systems is there is a button to release the door so people can enter. It would be nice if one could control that from a pressed key on the phone too?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Overkill. Already have doorbells with remote ringers & lights for those who are unable to hear.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote