Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Solid Counter Top for Bathroom - Can I cut it

Hey Y'all
Newbie here - love the sight.

I just moved into a house and the half bath needs a little updating. I found some Soild Counter tops at an outlet store for a good price. I am not sure what they are made of but they look like a composite and have the sink molded right in. The problem with the bath is that the vanity is 36" in a 36" cove leaving no overhang for the vanity top. I could re-laminate the top (it's not out of the question) but I'd love to buy a top and just install it. Is there a way to cut the composite tops? If so I'd love to hear some suggestions. Most of the tops have a built in backsplash which will create a bit of trouble.
I was thinking of cutting with my circular saw or possilby trying to run the router down the sides. I need to remove about 3/8" +/- on each side.

screamon demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

You are most likely looking at what are known as "cultured marble" tops, as I don't know of any of the solid surfacing products (Corian, Swanstone, etc) that are distributed in a manner that would have them show up at an outlet store. But even if it would be, all of the products are worked with common tools.

Cultured marble can be cut with carbide saw blades (which may leave a few chips along the edge in the gel coat, which will be covered by the end splashes), or masonry cutting stone blades or an inexpensive diamond blade ( about $30 at HD/Lowes). Corian and the other similiar products cut better with carbide or diamond blades as oppossed to the masonry blades, but they will work .

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If it is cultured marble and you only need to take 3/8 off of each side i would use a belt sander with 50 grit belt. I have done this a couple of times and it works great. tape the edge and mark a line on the tape and sand away. It will make a lot of dust so someone to hold a shop vac will be nice.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I will try these suggestion thanks for the help.

BTW - The bargain outlet around here sells Granite Tops not sure about corian though. If they work the are a steal

Thanks
screamon demon is offline   Reply With Quote