Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

Snowblower: Craftsman vs Poulan

Hi!

With winter around the corner, I'm in the market for a new snow blower. I have an old hand-me-down craftsman single stage push snowblower that I have held together with cable ties and wire. Time to upgrade.

I had my eye on a Craftsman 24" 179cc Two-Stage Snow blower for 579. The link can be found here...

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1

My other option is a Poulan from Menards for 649. The flyer says it's a 24" dual stage blower with a 208cc LCT engine. Background research makes me think it's model number PR624ES.

Right now, I'm kind of leaning more towards the Craftsman. It's cheaper, uses a "Craftsman" engine, and parts may be easier to find with it. Another part of me thinks maybe just drop another 100 bucks and get an Ariens Compact22.

If anybody has any recommendations, that would be great.

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #2

Go with the Ariens, you'll never need another one!

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks. That's what I hear from everybody. I think the Ariens is like 150 more than the craftsman. Price usually don't matter, but the bills are piling up.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

OH, one last question. I've always had smaller snow blowers (single stage). How does something like the Ariens work with just an inch or two of snow?

I live outside of Chicago and a lot of the time, we get a few inches, but maybe like twice a year, we'll get a foot or more. I'd hate to buy something expensive and not be able to use it for two or three inches of snow.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

They work just fine for light snow storms as long as you keep the skids adjusted correctly. If you send them to low you will leave a little snow on the driveway but you can do this with any blower. A two stage blower will just throw the snow a lot farther as well as have the ability to handle wet snow a lot better.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Kerry-All Pouch creator

Send a message via MSN to Woodsmith

Depends on the motor ,mostly, in my opinion. I'm not sure who makes the Craftsman motor. Used to be it was Briggs & Stratton vs. the world, and I would go with Briggs.
Craftsman usually back up their stuff, and price is a deciding factor, like you said. I'd go with them.
Woodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmith View Post
Depends on the motor ,mostly, in my opinion. I'm not sure who makes the Craftsman motor. Used to be it was Briggs & Stratton vs. the world, and I would go with Briggs.
Craftsman usually back up their stuff, and price is a deciding factor, like you said. I'd go with them.
I've seen Craftsman mowers, blowers etc. with a variety of different engine manufacturers. Briggs & Stratton, Kohler and occasionally Honda.

Ads for snow throwers, I bought an MTD from Sears last Winter. Best 800 bucks I spent in years. I would recommend looking for a model with power steering though. I overlooked it when I got mine, in trade for a larger width and depth capacity for the same price range. With a 28" cutting width, it takes some muscle to bring it around for another swipe.

I've done some serious snow clearing with mine, as deep as 20" on a few occasions. The only time I jammed it up was trying to clear heavy slush that the plows piled up at the end of the driveway.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Kerry-All Pouch creator

Send a message via MSN to Woodsmith

Good point, loneframer, on the power steering. I bought my MTD about 11 years ago, no such thing then...and at 55, I would appreciate it now!
Woodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
KemoSabe

BTW, MTD manufactures machines under a variety of brand names.

http://www.mtdproducts.com/webapp/wc...10500_20500_-1
Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Go with the Ariens, you'll never need another one!
I have an Ariens 11.5HP snow blower. Its awesome. It handles everything and mine is made in the USA.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

make sure it is a Briggs and Straton engine, even if it says craftsman snowblower it could have a "made in china" engine...

nothing more important than that!

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote