Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Share |
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Some guy on LI just had a few fingers put back on after sticking his hand into a gas powered snowblower that was not running. According to the article, the engine had some residual torque in it and it "let go" when he tried unclogging it.
I alway use a broom handle to clear the chute. Too old for, "Stumpy" as a nickname.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Some guy on LI just had a few fingers put back on after sticking his hand into a gas powered snowblower that was not running. According to the article, the engine had some residual torque in it and it "let go" when he tried unclogging it.
I alway use a broom handle to clear the chute. Too old for, "Stumpy" as a nickname.
Ron
Weird.

I'm all for safety - a good share of which is simply not being stupid. Simple things go a long ways.

But a non-running snow-thrower, taking a guy's fingers off, seems very odd to me. First of all, the most a non-running engine is going to do is release compression. The engine turns one-half, to one rotation. Second, the paddles on those snow-throwers (unless it's a really old one) are rubber. Not exactly sharpened steel. Also, is there anybody who blows snow without gloves on his hands?


I'm certainly not saying a guy didn't lose his fingertips, or that it can't happen. But wow, that's an extreme case of a lot of little things going wrong all at the same time.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,472
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Some guy on LI just had a few fingers put back on after sticking his hand into a gas powered snowblower that was not running. According to the article, the engine had some residual torque in it and it "let go" when he tried unclogging it.
I alway use a broom handle to clear the chute. Too old for, "Stumpy" as a nickname.
Ron
Clogged chute is a different story. I could see the auger or chute being under pressure if it was clogged. We were not discussing clearing clogged chutes. We were discussing checking for broken shear pin.
Only small snow throwers have rubber paddles. The machines I was referring to are two stage with metal augers and a metal impeller to throw the snow.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.

Last edited by joed; 01-15-2011 at 09:03 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 644
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Always assume a gun is loaded and always assume that a machine you don't fully understand can dismember you.

True, a machine that isn't clogged and not running is assumed to be harmless, but I'm not an authority, so I'll err on the side of caution and won't put my fingers where they don't belong.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Always assume a gun is loaded and always assume that a machine you don't fully understand can dismember you.

True, a machine that isn't clogged and not running is assumed to be harmless, but I'm not an authority, so I'll err on the side of caution and won't put my fingers where they don't belong.
Right.

I usually take a short stub of a 2x4 and tap it in between the auger & housing. That way, even if something was so inclined to spin, it can't.

So far I have all my fingers (and they're crossed!).
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


A handy tool for clearing ice from around the impeller is a the wheel wrench from your car.
Its flattened end can be used to chip away the ice.
You can even tap the chute with the wrench end, to loosen any snow thats stuck there.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Clogged chute is a different story. I could see the auger or chute being under pressure if it was clogged. We were not discussing clearing clogged chutes.
That's exactly what we're discussing. Read OP's first post.
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,472
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


We were discussing why it was clogging, not how to unclog it.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Bottom line here. I was dumb enough to stick my hand in the chute whlie it was running and broke three fingers. I did that for six years never had a problem, never heard of anyone having a problem because I thought once you let go of the lever the impeller blades and auger blades stop spinning. I was wrong.


After that going through therapy for 3 months and meeting people there, talking to people everywhere, strangers all over the place. I found out three people did the same thing I did cleaning the chute BUT the engine was OFF. 99% of the people I talk to does the same thing using their hands to clean the chute.

For some reason when the snow clogs the chute even when the engine is off the impeller blades can turn. I don't care what any of you say about it not being possible because the people who it happened to with the engine off aren't lying.

So if there is anyone here with any sense that I could help, DO NOT USE YOUR HAND TO CLEAN THE CHUTE OF A SNOW BLOWER ON OR OFF, PLEASE!!
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Bottom line here. I was dumb enough to stick my hand in the chute whlie it was running and broke three fingers. I did that for six years never had a problem, never heard of anyone having a problem because I thought once you let go of the lever the impeller blades and auger blades stop spinning. I was wrong.

After that going through therapy for 3 months and meeting people there, talking to people everywhere, strangers all over the place. I found out three people did the same thing I did cleaning the chute BUT the engine was OFF. 99% of the people I talk to does the same thing using their hands to clean the chute.
I can certainly understand how the blower assembly could engage with the engine running. But with the engine off just baffles me.

Of course, I'm thinking of 2-stage blowers. Maybe the single-stage are set up different.


Even so, I'm glad your hands are alright!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


I had my ring finger "pulled" off on December 21st and crushed my middle finger. I had a partial seizure and my hand went into the chute. There were able to reattach the ring finger and put the middle finger back together. However, I have nerve damage not only in the fingers, but the whole hand too. Be careful everyone.
jmorrill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,472
Default

Snowblower chute clogging


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrill2 View Post
I had my ring finger "pulled" off on December 21st and crushed my middle finger. I had a partial seizure and my hand went into the chute. There were able to reattach the ring finger and put the middle finger back together. However, I have nerve damage not only in the fingers, but the whole hand too. Be careful everyone.
Was the engine running or stopped?

__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snowblower Electrical Question TimKLL Automotive Repairs 3 01-20-2011 07:10 PM
Snowblower Repair FF_Thor General DIY Discussions 0 11-29-2010 03:51 PM
Angled Laundry Chute Fox Remodeling 10 06-01-2010 11:09 AM
jammed snowblower Dee_M General DIY Discussions 11 11-27-2008 11:19 PM
Toro SnowBlower 521 metallic sound mteach General DIY Discussions 1 12-13-2007 12:27 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.