Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Snow Blower problem

Howdy all...

We've had a TON of snow here in Milwaukee this year and my snowthrower is experiencing a problem making it relatively useless.

The engine is running just fine, thank you....but it won't send the snow through the chute reliably.

With wet snow, the snow will "bunch up" inside the chute forcing me to stop blowing snow and remove the snow manually from the machine...

With dryer snow, it works a little better...but it's still doesn't send the snow out of the chute with the gusto it used to show...

It's an older snowblower...maybe 8 years or so...and it's been reliable. I think it's about a 5 HP. No power drive (most of the time it's not needed)...

I'm wondering about the soft parts of the auger system. There are these "flaps" that are bolted onto the auger and I was wondering it they've worn down to the point where they're not in contact with the side the casing anymore...thus allowing snow to slide by and collect? Just a theory.

Thanks for any help!
Greg

gregryan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #2

Snow Blower problem

can you post a photo?

You may be able to try and use some car wax on the inside of the chute to allow the snow not to clog up.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #3

Snow Blower problem

Greetings from cold New England, Check to see if the auger drive system is powered by a Vbelt, it may be losse or worn out. If it is rding inside the pully it is worn out and is probably slipping when trying to throw snow. The flaps you describe should not wear out but check for cracking, if they they are cracked then they need replaced.
Buffalo1 is offline   Reply With Quote