Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

snow blower issues?


Had to get the snow blower out for the first time this week since last year...

started it up, ran one pass then died... started it back up ran a minute died... kept doing this... started to get darker smoke from the exhaust... drained the gas put new in, same issue... went to drain the oil, which is 5W-30, it came out with the consistency of water! brown and runny as water... drained it completely, put all new 5W-30 oil in which was drastically more viscious and it works fine again...

what would make the oil turn like this? Something wrong somewhere?

__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,952
Rewards Points: 3,020
Default

snow blower issues?


Left outside uncovered and water ran into the exhost or air filter would be my first guess.
Did it also smell like gas? If so it's common to have the float stick and flood the carb, which can run over into the cyl.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Left outside uncovered and water ran into the exhost or air filter would be my first guess.
nope, never left outside, always clean the thing off after usage and stored in a garage.
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,753
Rewards Points: 1,020
Default

snow blower issues?


Just a couple of thoughts, but first of all, I'm guessing that it is a little chilly in central PA right now, which means that your 5W30 oil is closer to 5W, and 5 weight oil is pretty thin, so the fact that it runs like water, is not necessarily indicative of a major problem. That is unless of course it smells like gasoline, as Joe suggested. Second, again, just guessing, but last winter was pretty mild overall, so maybe you didn't use your machine as much as you normally would, and had two year old fuel in the tank, not just one year old. Again, just a couple of thoughts. Regardless though, it definitely sounds like bad fuel, so, since you have already changed the fuel, I would remove the bowl and check the float, as Joe suggested, and spray every nook and cranny of the carburetor that I could reach with carburetor cleaner. I'm not big on additives, but, in this case, I would also put some Sea Foam in the fuel, so that it can get sucked through all of the crevices that you don't reach with the carb. cleaner. And, you probably already have this covered, but your spark plug is going to very black and close to fouled right now, if not already there.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Just a couple of thoughts, but first of all, I'm guessing that it is a little chilly in central PA right now, which means that your 5W30 oil is closer to 5W, and 5 weight oil is pretty thin, so the fact that it runs like water, is not necessarily indicative of a major problem. That is unless of course it smells like gasoline, as Joe suggested. Second, again, just guessing, but last winter was pretty mild overall, so maybe you didn't use your machine as much as you normally would, and had two year old fuel in the tank, not just one year old. Again, just a couple of thoughts. Regardless though, it definitely sounds like bad fuel, so, since you have already changed the fuel, I would remove the bowl and check the float, as Joe suggested, and spray every nook and cranny of the carburetor that I could reach with carburetor cleaner. I'm not big on additives, but, in this case, I would also put some Sea Foam in the fuel, so that it can get sucked through all of the crevices that you don't reach with the carb. cleaner. And, you probably already have this covered, but your spark plug is going to very black and close to fouled right now, if not already there.
pulled the plug and its clean, and the machine is only a year old, bought it last winter, starting to think gas got in the oil somehow... because I changed the oil and gas back in august getting ready for winter, and it went bad sitting idle for a few months?... *shrugs*
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 6,589
Rewards Points: 2,466
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Left outside uncovered and water ran into the exhost or air filter would be my first guess.
Did it also smell like gas? If so it's common to have the float stick and flood the carb, which can run over into the cyl.

This.

Would have been best to smell the oil when it came out but if the machine was running poorly before and stored with untreated gas, I think you have the source of the problem right there.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,952
Rewards Points: 3,020
Default

snow blower issues?


If there's any way possible from now on only use non ethenol fuel or at least add the additive that treats ethenol fuel do so.
Since I've been using non ethenol fuel I've had 0 issues with any of my gas powered equipment.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If there's any way possible from now on only use non ethenol fuel or at least add the additive that treats ethenol fuel do so.
Since I've been using non ethenol fuel I've had 0 issues with any of my gas powered equipment.
where do you even get fuel anymore with no ethenol? everywhere around me has "may contain up to 10% ethenol" on their pumps
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Member
 
Davejss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Massachusetts
Posts: 368
Rewards Points: 290
Default

snow blower issues?


Mine died today...again. It starts on the first pull, runs rough and dies after a pass or two. Starts again after a bunch of pulls but dies again after a pass.
Fresh gas, cleaned carb, new plug, fresh oil. Next storm same problems. Dragged it over near my fire pit and dumped oil and gas on it and torched it. Sat back in my lawn chair with a glass of Irish whiskey and laughed like a lunatic while watching it burn!
I will never own one of these infernal pieces of crap again. Tomorrow morning I'm buying a Fisher plow...and another bottle.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
Mine died today...again. It starts on the first pull, runs rough and dies after a pass or two. Starts again after a bunch of pulls but dies again after a pass.
Fresh gas, cleaned carb, new plug, fresh oil. Next storm same problems. Dragged it over near my fire pit and dumped oil and gas on it and torched it. Sat back in my lawn chair with a glass of Irish whiskey and laughed like a lunatic while watching it burn!
I will never own one of these infernal pieces of crap again. Tomorrow morning I'm buying a Fisher plow...and another bottle.
I want a tractor with the spinning brush attachemnt, we have them at work to clean the parking lots.. they work really good... neighbor has one also seems to do a good job in the snow
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,194
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
Had to get the snow blower out for the first time this week since last year...

started it up, ran one pass then died... started it back up ran a minute died... kept doing this... started to get darker smoke from the exhaust... drained the gas put new in, same issue... went to drain the oil, which is 5W-30, it came out with the consistency of water! brown and runny as water... drained it completely, put all new 5W-30 oil in which was drastically more viscious and it works fine again...

what would make the oil turn like this? Something wrong somewhere?
This isn't an oil problem, but a gas problem.

Most likely the needle valve in your carb was sticking open, was essentially flooding the engine, and so much gas was getting sucked in that it ran down past the piston rings and into your oil.

The oil needed to be changed, but you still probably need to clean your carb. At the very least, drop the carb bowl & clean it out, and spray carb cleaner up into the underside of the carb.

You'll be fine.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

snow blower issues?


99.9% of the time it's a fuel related problem. Bad gas, plugged carburetor, plugged filter, water in gas, dirt.....etc. It's always about fuel delivery.
Run the fuel out at the end of the season and pour some stabil into the tank. Drain the tank and the bowl in the spring and use fresh gas (not the gas left over from last year) You can always add some 2 cycle oil to any gas, what's a little smoke. It helps lubricate the fuel system and help prevent the usual varnish build up. Start the equipment in the off season if you don't drain the gas at least 2 or 3 times unless you want to take the carb off and clean it.
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
pulled the plug and its clean, and the machine is only a year old, bought it last winter, starting to think gas got in the oil somehow... because I changed the oil and gas back in august getting ready for winter, and it went bad sitting idle for a few months?... *shrugs*
Ethanol will go bad quickly! You didn't happen to use ethanol did you?
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,304
Rewards Points: 506
Default

snow blower issues?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Ethanol will go bad quickly! You didn't happen to use ethanol did you?
intentionally, no, could it of been in the gas last time I bought gas? no idea, gas pump says "may contain up to 10% ethanol" blower has on the cap "up to 15% ethanol gasoline"
__________________
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

snow blower issues?


The problem isn't that gasoline contains ethanol, the problem is that ethanol absorbs moisture out of the air, and that fuel systems on small equipment do not have sealed systems so it is easy for that absorption to take place. Once it has, the fuel is contaminated. Ethanol is also a solvent, so any gunk that found it's way into the fuel system gets lifted off by the ethanol and finds it's way to the carbuerator.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow Blower with gas left in tank hubbard Tractors & Mowers 6 11-22-2012 10:13 AM
snow blower will not hold a start bossmg2000 Landscaping & Lawn Care 4 01-28-2011 05:36 PM
auger belt adjustment on a ariens snow blower john magee Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 01-27-2011 04:43 PM
Noma snow blower Gatineau General DIY Discussions 1 01-16-2010 10:21 AM
blower fan issues Cliff321 Electrical 5 09-13-2008 09:26 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.