Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Smoke Detectors - Ionization vs. photoelectric

I'm getting ready to buy smokes and CO detectors for my 2-story addition project....so I've been doing the research....came across this bit of info from NFPA.

Ionizaton vs Photoelectric Detectors

blurb from it...
Quote:
Ionization smoke detection is generally more responsive to flaming fires.
How they work: Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates. When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm.

Photoelectric smoke detection is generally more responsive to fires that begin with a long period of smoldering (called “smoldering fires”).
How they work: Photoelectric-type alarms aim a light source into a sensing chamber at an angle away from the sensor. Smoke enters the chamber, reflecting light onto the light sensor; triggering the alarm.
So....what I'll be doing....putting in combination CO & Ionization detectors in near the combustin source....and photoelectric detectors in the bedrooms...

Just wanted to share.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #2

Not a bad idea. Don't recall where it was, but I once lived in a place where both types were required by code.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

To me, linking them together is more important than their type. I have several of the talking Onelink's from First Alert. A voice tells you where in the house the smoke or CO was detected.

Except for the time I was using a nail gun in my garage at midnight and kicked up some dust near the smoke alarm. Every alarm inside the house sounded... the ol' family was not pleased.
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
To me, linking them together is more important than their type. I have several of the talking Onelink's from First Alert. A voice tells you where in the house the smoke or CO was detected.

Except for the time I was using a nail gun in my garage at midnight and kicked up some dust near the smoke alarm. Every alarm inside the house sounded... the ol' family was not pleased.
What? Family has no sense of humor?

I totally agree with the interlinking....but it looks like I'll go with the Kidde....I like the voice feature along with the hardwired interconnect....I figure it will be more reliable in the long run vs wireless.....I have enough RF stuff going on in my house already.

Kidde also has the relay module I can add that would allow me to interface it to a central alarm system.

As I do my wiring, I'm also putting stuff in place that will allow me to alarm/monitor/automate at a later date.

For now....one task at a time...a couple of years from now when I start running out of projects, I'll do the automation thing.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote