Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Dangerous

Share |

Smoke detector will not shut up!

This freaking thing is going out the window! Few things are more immediately irritating that a smoke detector that alarms for no reason.

Brand new First Alert (BRK) SA720. Mount the ring, plug in the battery (the right way), as soon as I snap it up into the ring, it starts alarming and will not shut up, even when I press the button. I have to pull it back down and pull the battery out.

Why the heII is this thing only going nuts when I mount it?

Maybe the house is on fire and I don't know it yet.

Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Maybe the house is on fire and I don't know it yet.

Might wanna check on that first. A house ablaze is, as they say in some circles, a "buzzkill".

Old 01-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

Just replace it with another one and see what happens.
If there's anything inside the unit blocking the sencer it will set it off.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Brand new, does not work, hello. Take it back were you bought it and have the store replace. Before you leave, make sure that it works.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The floor of my building still smells after weeks. Idiot in the corner decided he could not handle his smoke detectors going off either. So he disabled even the central ones in his space that would trigger Chicago Fire to respond in a timely manner. They did but not until people saw flames from across the street and the hall detectors went off.

Do you smoke? He did and apparently shut his detectors off because he smoked really heavily. $650K worth of condo gone know. All of us near screaming at management to please fix the stench of everything known to man, including a man, smelling like it burned a month ago.

Never disable a fire detector. You can clear the sensors on most by waving fresh air past them. Worst that could ever happen is a fire department responds and catches you smoking something or trying a blackened fish recipe.

Yours might be wacked so exchange it. Good advice too. If you are a smoker, blow some through it. If it goes off, maybe it is trying to tell you something. You know smokers have found the electronic way for the habit at about $2.50 a pack for nicotine cartridges. I think the real deals go for $10-12 a pack here. No judgement.

Last edited by user1007; 01-15-2012 at 06:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Sdester, wasn't this the one before the big one last week in the high rise up in Chi Town? At least your idiot did not decide to leave the door propped open, so that the animals could escape, in turn causing an innocent to lose her life.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
This freaking thing is going out the window! Few things are more immediately irritating that a smoke detector that alarms for no reason.
I have never yet found a fire alarm, with fresh battery, that alarms for no reason. One of mine did not function recently but that is a different issue. Take yours to your nearest fire station and ask the men/women to test it. Not saying for sure, but they might have a working replacement unit or two, or a coupon they might slip your way.

Last edited by user1007; 01-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sdester, wasn't this the one before the big one last week in the high rise up in Chi Town? At least your idiot did not decide to leave the door propped open, so that the animals could escape, in turn causing an innocent to lose her life.
I read about that. And some do own critters here. Only the guy who lit him and his sofa on fire died in my nearby incident. Chicago Fire had the fire out in like 15 minutes. I am told it went multi-alarm though. I had only seen smoke on tv and can never describe the smell and acrid and near acid like effect it had on my eyes. Even with wet towel under my door.

Idiot was a true idjut and a heavy smoker. He disabled every smoke detector after routine fire inspections because he couldn't handle the things squeeking. Chicago Fire popped some very expensive windows around the corner of my building to help with the smoke. They checked regularly to make sure I and others were alright.

And I have almost given up on people. I will rescue animals in a second.

Last edited by user1007; 01-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Wet towels never help. Of course, if they installed the smoke escape hoods that the Navy uses, people would either never PM the things, or the residents that are into smoking weed, would use them, or worst yet, they would be found in pawn shops up there. If it was me, and I lived in a high rise, I would have a SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) in my unit, just in case, due to you never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
user1007 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

take it off the ceiling and mount it in hand see if it alarms....
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-15-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Dangerous

So we played with it for a bit and it seems that if you don't turn it all the way into its mount, it quiets down. Mount it, it yells. Back it off a little counter-clockwise in its ring, and it behaves. This is a complete new one for me; never seen a detector act this way. Weirdest thing.

At any rate, I don't trust it. Back to the store with it.

Thanks, all
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If it was me, and I lived in a high rise, I would have a SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) in my unit, just in case, due to you never know.
Excellent idea. And they are not that expensive. I keep telling myself this was no big deal but it is the closest I have come to a major fire. As mentioned, the fire was out in no time and thankfully all things required for a firewall held but the smoke was the issue. I had saline on hand to rinse my eyes. Chicago Fire checked on us on a regular basis but asked us to stay put. We could open windows once the fire was out but still. I will never forget the smell of every single building material known to man burning all at once. And it sounds like because an idjut disabled fire alarms. He paid the ultimate price of course. I do hope he never woke up. Irony is only the central smoke alarm in my apartment screamed. The back up one management insisted be installed never so much as peeped. It tests fine as far as power. Go figure. I hope the OP finds one that works properly.

They have started gutting the corner unit that was torched. What a mess. Weird seeing people in hazard suits on a daily basis.

Last edited by user1007; 01-16-2012 at 06:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #13

two things. 1. dust can make it go off. had this issue with my own. 2. if the air is warmer or colder in are above the alarm. for example the temp of the room vs the temp of the attic. big diffences between the air temp will cause it to go off. it is a pain in the a$$ to try to fix these things at 3am when they always go off
shives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
We could open windows once the fire was out but still. I will never forget the smell of every single building material known to man burning all at once. And it sounds like because an idjut disabled fire alarms. He paid the ultimate price of course. I do hope he never woke up. .
That was a horrible trauma for you to have experienced. I'm sure you will be dragging that around for a long time. My sympathies
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #15

even during remodels it's needed more...hearing about that CT Christmas Day horror of the 3 daughters and grandparent. the contractor BF and where the fireplace embers were actually removed to at 3am Christmas Day and the entire place went up in 2 hours.commercially on buildings dust maint. on them is a routine like filters changes

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote