Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Small gas engine problem

I am looking for some advice on where to turn for some problem solving relative to an old Tecumseh two stroke motor on a 20" Snowmaster toro blower model range is 31596-700001. Like I said it's an oldie! I got it to start and run for about 5 minutes. Then it quits and will not start again until it gets cold. So, it runs for a short time, blows a ton of smoke, then that slows to nearly nothing...it seems to have a peculiar amount of vibration as well. I just want to see If I can use it this season or while the season is still around. I do not know how to adjust the mixture set screws. If anyone has this info it would be much appreciated. I would love to get it to run and stay running. It does have Fresh gas at a mixture of 52:1 as specified

thanks ahead of time!

Michael

Studiohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Small gas engine problem

First off,,buy a NEW spark plug,probably autolite NOT Champion. Then take breather off and squirt WD-40 and see if it will run as long as your squirting it off and on quickly. IF it runs then pretty well you have a carb prob and you can rebuild that with a kit,,or have somebody do that,,,IF it doesnt run any better on WD-40 than before it is probably ignition,,,does it have a decent spark?? Is the rotor rusty?? where the points are??

Is the piston and compression good or bad??...Do you have history with this thing or a new toy?? You CAN spend more than its worth,,,however these few things MAY make a ton of difference!!.

Clean the air filter while its off. MOST small engines will run ALOT better on WD-40 than gas as a rule!! DONT use ether starting fluid,,,it will wreck the motor pretty quick!! Good luck,,,you may NEED it!!

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Small gas engine problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiohio View Post
I am looking for some advice on where to turn for some problem solving relative to an old Tecumseh two stroke motor on a 20" Snowmaster toro blower model range is 31596-700001. Like I said it's an oldie! I got it to start and run for about 5 minutes. Then it quits and will not start again until it gets cold. So, it runs for a short time, blows a ton of smoke, then that slows to nearly nothing...it seems to have a peculiar amount of vibration as well. I just want to see If I can use it this season or while the season is still around. I do not know how to adjust the mixture set screws. If anyone has this info it would be much appreciated. I would love to get it to run and stay running. It does have Fresh gas at a mixture of 52:1 as specified

thanks ahead of time!

Michael
if it runs for 5 min then quits i would guess ignition problem...coil is probably shot..when coil gets warm it quits..common problem
billie_t is offline   Reply With Quote