Small Engine Repair - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

small engine repair

I have a Tecumseh 5.5hp chipper/shredder. The model# is 0HH55 69024F. When I press the primer bulb, nothing seems to be happening and the engine will not start. If I remove the air filter cover and give a quick shot of starting fluid, it will start right up and stay running. I was wondering how do I replace the primer bulb on this engine? Could it be another part of the carb that is giving me problems?
Does anyone know of any exploded views of Tecumseh carbs? Thanks for the help...........

Advertisement

oletrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,046

small engine repair

You have a blockage in your fuel system. You should not need a diagram. Take the carb off and clean the the jets. Make sure fuel flowes freely from the tank to the carb. Dump the tank into a clean bowl and see what comes out. Unmount the tank and blow air up the line. When you get it cleaned up use Sea Foam additive to keep it clean. An inline fuel filter between the tank and carb wouldn't be a bad idea either. Let us know if you get it going. Dorf Dude

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #3

small engine repair

I will take the carb off this weekend and clean it up as you mentioned. Do I need any parts at all, or just a good cleaning? Actually the fuel shouldnt be very dirty because I havn't ran this machine very much at all. It might have 25 hours at the most. I always use Stabil in my fuel and I try to run the fuel out after i get done with the machine. Should i hear any fuel being squirted into the carb when I press the primer bulb? Is there a gasket between the intake pipe and the carb, any other gaskets I might need? Thanks for the help, I will take it apart and see what happens.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Dorf dude...

small engine repair

The primer bulb is just a "help pump" between the fuel source and the carb. You should feel resistance as it pumps up fuel. On my chainsaw it recomends 6 pumps before starting. You have either a blockage before the primer or after. Before taking the carb off I would check that fuel is making it through the primer. There are gaskets on the fuel bowl and carb to motor, usually they are ok when you take it apart. You can try soaking them with WD40 before disassembly. If you damage a gasket you can use Permatex sealent to repair, not silicone! Silicone and gas do not like each other. You have done all the proper maintainence procedures to prevent this type of a problem. Let us know what you find, Dorf Dude...
Old 11-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

small engine repair

Pop into your city library and ask the librarian to help you find any books they have on Tecumseh engines. They probably have lots of Tecumseh service manuals that you can check out. I know the Centennial Library in Winnipeg does.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

small engine repair

Hi Oletrkguy

Try googling Tecumseh and see if they have any online manuals and parts breakdowns for the engine model you have. I did that for my Briggs and Stratton stuff, and they have many of their reference manuals on line.

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #7

small engine repair

I was able to find a Tecumseh manual for this engine at Northern Tool. It helps a little but I was hoping for a breakdown of the carburetor and parts, but no such luck.
I cleaned the carb up and cleaned it with carb cleaner but that didnt help.
When i pressed the primer bulb i didn't feel any resistance nor did i hear any fuel flowing anywhere. I did find a new primer bulb and the O rings that go on the nozzle. I also got a new gasket for the bowl and a needle valve.
I am new to this so I may not be calling these parts by the correct names. I got a very small wire for cleaning any jets or holes, if i can find where they are.
I think i mentioned in an earlier post, that this machine does not have many hours at all on it. If anything is wrong with the carburetor, I think it may be from lack of use rather than dirt. Maybe some carb parts dry rotted, is that possible? The number on the carb is 5028, if that rings a bell for anyone.
I only see one adjusting screw, and it looks like it is for the idle. There is a nut on the bottom of the bowl, i guess it is just for attaching the bowl to the carb. I will take it apart saturday and give it a good cleaning. I do need to replace the fuel line, i noticed it is kinda brittle. Sorry for going on and on, but i figure the more i share the better my chances of getting this fixed, i'll post any progress as i move along with this. Have a great weekend...
Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

small engine repair

I put a link, you may already have it, good idea on replaceing the bulb, had one crack on a smaller tool. I figure primary reason because it wasn't used much. good luck http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf
Old 11-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Dorf dude...

small engine repair

I agree with DUDE, replace the primer. It should build up restistance as you pump it. Don't bother with the carb just yet. Dorf Dude
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #10

small engine repair

I took the primer bulb off and it looked ok. I placed it on a smooth flat surfaced and pressed and it did have suction, so I figured the bulb was ok.
I continued taking the carb apart and I think I have all the rubber parts off. I got the O rings , the nozzle, and also the needle valve out. I havn't gotten the needle valve seat out yet. Does it pry out, much like the nozzle O rings? How does the needle seat go back, any tricks/tips to getting the O rings and needle seat back in ands back in correctly? Is it ok to soak the carb over night in gas to maybe get any remaining dirt off?
Thanks.....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

small engine repair

Some needle seats have a slot across them for a screwdriver. If so, then it will thread out. If not, do not remove the carb seat. Make sure you can blow air through it. If you can it should be okay.
Oil your rubber o-rings lightly before reinstalling.

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #12

small engine repair

I cant see a slot for a screw driver in the seat, so I will leave it be. A new seat did come with the needle valve, but it doesn't have a slot in it either. Thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #13

small engine repair

I did that for my Briggs and Stratton stuff, and they have many of their reference manuals online.
Deidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #14

small engine repair

I put a new primer bulb, new O rings around the nozzle and a new bowl gasket and it still will not prime using the bulb. It will start using starting fluid, but not with the primer bulb......am i correct in thinking that if there is enough gas to run, there should be enough to prime? thanks for the help......
Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Dorf dude...

small engine repair

It really sounds like you have a fuel blockage between the tank and the primer. Do you by chance have a fuel shutoff valve? It should pump up with the primer bulb no problem. Can you blow air backwards into the tank? You need to find the blockage. Dorf Dude

Advertisement