Which Small 2Kw Generator? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Which Small 2Kw generator?

Apologies if this topic has been trashed out before.

I'm in the market for a pair of 2Kw Portable generators, to run them in tandem for a 4Kw output.

The use is for running our RV AC unit when camping and as a backup generator to plug into our transfer switch during a power outage.

It seems like two camps exist.. The Hondas and the Yamaha's
I would like to use a pair so that tbehy are easy to move around. I've had a 3+kw generator before and it was a beast to move around when full of gas.

I would also like to run these pair with an extended fuel tank so having the internal fuel pump is important.

Could you please give an opinion WITH A REASON?

I've heard that Yamaha's require less service.

I've heard that Honda is more reliable..

But no reasoning!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Smcrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 292

Google "portable generator forms". You might be better served posting your question there.

Or, you could contact a nearby power generating station and see how they parallel different sources. You are trying to do the same thing on a nano scale. Seem extreme? It is.

I don't think you realize what all is involved. You need to see what is required before you jump in to it. I suspect you could easily create an inherently dangerous set up.

Advertisement

Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,934

Honda EU2000. Very popular with RVers. Quiet, lightweight, and can be easily paralleled.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,652

Personally, I think that Yamaha's are extremely under-rated, mostly by people who have never owned or used them. IMPO, they build a superior generator to the Honda, but that said, I also have one of the best Yamaha dealerships in my backyard, so I get excellent pricing and superb service from them, although it's rare to need any service..........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Honda EU2000. Very popular with RVers. Quiet, lightweight, and can be easily paralleled.
Same exact thing can be said for the comparible Yamaha, except that they're probably even lighter and quieter.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
Google "portable generator forms". You might be better served posting your question there.

Or, you could contact a nearby power generating station and see how they parallel different sources. You are trying to do the same thing on a nano scale. Seem extreme? It is.

I don't think you realize what all is involved. You need to see what is required before you jump in to it. I suspect you could easily create an inherently dangerous set up.
As an Electrical Engineer (EE) AND using a licensed electrician to do the work I am confident that my transfer switch is wires correctly and I will not either fry a linesman or blow my generator to bits.

This was not the point of my question. I'm looking for opinions on Honda vs Yamaha!
Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,038

You might as well ask ford vs Chevy.

I would not be afraid to buy either one. I agree with Jomama that having a good dealer nearby for parts/service is important and would base my decision on that. If both are well supported, the decision could be based on price or even color.

Do you like red or blue ?
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

Its looking like a deciding factor is the ability to run an Auxiliary fuel tank! It seems that Honda can and Yamaha can't!

It also looks like Honda can stand higher loads better..

I'm leaning towards the Honda!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,038

A gravity feed system for the yamaha could be rigged up with an aftermarket cap which is readily available.
There is also an aftermarket kit that includes a fuel pump.
http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/view/YEFFUELKIT2/

But, sounds like you have made a decision.

Might as well comment on GreyHairs remarks while I'm typing. He is absolutely correct with the problem of paralleling most generators. However the inverter generators being discussed here are designed to be paralleled, if desired. If a person can't handle the simple connections of the parallel kit, they probably should not own a generator.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
A gravity feed system for the yamaha could be rigged up with an aftermarket cap which is readily available.
There is also an aftermarket kit that includes a fuel pump.
http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/view/YEFFUELKIT2/

But, sounds like you have made a decision.

Might as well comment on GreyHairs remarks while I'm typing. He is absolutely correct with the problem of paralleling most generators. However the inverter generators being discussed here are designed to be paralleled, if desired. If a person can't handle the simple connections of the parallel kit, they probably should not own a generator.
I just re-read the discussions.. I'm guessing that Grey Hair maybe talking about connecting two ordinary generators together that are running asynchronously to each other. Yes I agree that this could and would lead to problems. From what I understand is that with these inverter generators that are designed to be paralled together then using the correct cables then the inverts will sync with each other.

If I decide on the Honda then I would certainly buy the companion set with the cables. I see that you can get them as a package.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,960

I have friends that have both. They are both great units.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Smcrea (08-24-2015)