Sloping Floors - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sloping floors

Hi I'm looking for some advice on sloping floors. I've recently moved into a new house and noticed significant floor sloping. In some cases approximately 1" over a length of 12'. What's particularly interesting is I will also see a 1/4 deviation over 3'. Someone looked at the foundation and said it's perfectly level. The problem seems to be mainly sloping in the inside of the house. One thought is I have heavy hardwood floors that may be pulling down the center of the house. This is pretty scary. Any advice or thoughts on how to fix this would be great. Thanks

Advertisement

achillez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

sloping floors

How old is this house?
What's the spacing, width and free spans of the floor joist?
Got any picture from under the floors?
How did they check the foundation, you can not just look at it, lot more to it then that.
Hardwood floors have nothing to do with "pulling down" a floor.
More likely undersized, over spanned joist.

Advertisement

Gymschu (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

sloping floors

We need pictures or more info---is this the first floor or a second floor?

Is there a center beam in the basement? Is it possible a bearing wall has been removed improperly?

Termite damage? A plumber with a Sawsall clipped the bottom of a few floor joists?

Who looked and checked the foundation?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,694

sloping floors

Maybe just floor joists sagging from age. Do they slope toward the middle of the house or toward one certain wall or area?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,306

sloping floors

Could be lots of things……..undersized or sagging joists that has been mentioned. Is there a chimney in the center of the house? I've seen homes sag from an improperly installed chimney that settled & pulled down on the framing of the house. I've seen homes that had either poorly installed footers or no footers at all and this cause all sorts of problems. You really need to do some serious investigation. Hopefully, you have a friend that is a structural engineer that could take a look.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

sloping floors

thanks for the comments. Here's some more detail:

The house was a remodel done ~8 years ago. Square footage was doubled. It's unclear exactly what was done but it appears a new foundation was created next to the original house.

The sloped floors occurs on the 1st floor most prominently, but also observed on the 2nd floor. Oddly the 1st floor (which is hardwood) has all the squeaks. Upstairs has some areas with steeper slopes, but they are less erratic. E.g., one area slopes cleanly for across a 10x10' area then levels off.

We had a foundation expert come. They spent a couple hours checking out the floors, measuring height differences from one end to the next, examining joists and beams.

Conclusion was that the foundation was perfectly fine and level. The hardwood floor is too heavy for the 1st floor. The crawl space could add 1 or 2 more beams to help level the kitchen. I'm now wondering who else I should bring in to do a professional job on this. I don't want to "hack it" with a couple beams and hope the problem goes away.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

sloping floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillez View Post

Conclusion was that the foundation was perfectly fine and level. The hardwood floor is too heavy for the 1st floor. .

Say what?
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #8

sloping floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post

Say what?
The foundation (cement around the outside) is level. From corner to corner, and end to end the floor has not shifted and is the same height. The slope (or sag) is happening in the middle of the floor due to "perhaps" not enough beams/joists.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

sloping floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillez View Post
The foundation (cement around the outside) is level. From corner to corner, and end to end the floor has not shifted and is the same height. The slope (or sag) is happening in the middle of the floor due to "perhaps" not enough beams/joists.

OK. so the hardwood flooring is not too heavy.
The joists are inadequate.
Are they exposed below?

Can you get pics as asked for previously?
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 712

sloping floors

It was not what they said, it was how they said it that was funny.
Hardwood is to heavy? Undersized, over spanned joist may have been a better way to word the real problem.
Very common problem with older or cheaply built homes.
I see 2 X 8 joist and 1/2 subflooring all the time. Both will always cause issues.
A row of properly sized footings and a doubled up beam run down the middle of the span in most cases will take care of the sag and the bounce in the floors.

Advertisement