Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Share |

Slippery greasy laminate floor

I am hoping someone more saavy than myself will have a suggestion for removing the greasy, slippery residue from my wood laminate floor. I used Murphy's Oil Soap to mop it as it states on the label that it is safe - but alas, instead my floor looks and feels like butter was spread on it!

I have tried vinegar and water, ammonia and water, straight windex, orange glo degreaser, dawn dish soap and water, fabuloso and water, comet cleanser and prayer (and water). Nope, still sticky! Is there some stone unturned? Help please!
funnyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #2

Someone may have a cure but I'd start with an email to Murphy's and another to the floor Mfg. One or the other might be able to offer you the right solution.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

If vinegar and baking soda (either seperately or together) don't remove it's likely not a biodegradable substance, it is oil based and/or likely synthetic.

So, your focus should be on the harder chemicals that are designed to dissolve engine grease and various things like toilet-ring wax. I'd take a small area and try sovlents such as paint thinner and something along the lines of goo-gone and other substances that are suggested for use to remove the wax of a toilet ring. (The cleaner that my husband uses in his mini spray-gun is fabulous for this)

If those don't work then consider sealer dissolver and grout removal substances.

Problem you might find is that the finish on the surface might come off. However, that might actually already be happening and the substance on your floor (if you don't know what it is, already) is from it dissolving and breaking down into it's liquid form.