DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sliding Glass Door Question

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Maintenance 6 
#1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of either changing the glass on my sliding glass door or adding window film to it for added security, does anyone have any ideas about what would be a better choice or what my options my be. Thanks for your help

#2 ·
I've dealt a lot with security-related ordinances. Most cities don't have them, but they're gaining in popularity.

If you're worried about break-in's, an applied film won't do much. Statistically, burglars don't break glass unless they have to. There are very quiet ways to get doors open that attract less attention.

A "charlie bar" is the very best way to make it hard for someone to break into your house using your storm door. Many security ordinances require them, and they are easy for anyone to install.

The glass in your door is tempered glass, and honestly it would take a baseball bat to break it (or a very small sharp object like a nail set or screwdriver). You can't retrofit it with glass that is stronger. It is tempered because of the risk of deep lacerations if you fall into non-tempered glass. Tempering makes it much harder to break, and makes it break into very small pieces if it does break. Your average window is not tempered, and can easily be broken with any object or a gloved hand.

#3 ·
Not to mention breaking a sliding glass door would be very loud! It might even take multiple hits to gain entry. Some sliders can be "de-tracked," though.

Be careful with any window film you put on your windows - I doubt it will do anything to a slider, but I've been told recently about film causing glass to crack and shatter.

#4 ·
Only the Forrest Gump of burglars would be deterred by this. If you want a deterrent, get a good alarm system and window decals and a sign on the front of the house.
Ron

#5 ·
Most burglars won't break glass in a patio door to gain access. Termite is right. A Charlie Bar is a good security feature. Much more effective than the old broom handle in the track. Properly installed and used, a Charlie Bar will prevent someone from opening the door and/or lifting it out of the track. When I was locksmithing full time and folks locked themselves out, I loved houses with patio doors. Even with the broom handle, I could be in, in seconds. You should know that applying a film over insulated glass will void the warranty on the unit in most cases. It tends to set up a thermal imbalance in the unit when the sun hits the glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.