DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Slanted Ceiling + wall gaps

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ron45 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm new on this forum and also extremely new to DIY home repair/construction ...so please be patient with me!

I live in an attic space with slanted ceilings, and the person who put in the walls did a funky job. Essentially, there are large gaps between the "walls" and the ceiling meet.

Here's a picture: http://oi58.tinypic.com/xn5fh3.jpg

the latches (?) are how the wooden wall panels stay up...it's not possible to drill the wooden panels onto the studs because there are no studs behind the panels! the studs seem to be between each panel, which means i would have to tear out the walls of the entire room in order to attach the panels properly, which I don't have the time nor skill to do :\

please advice!!!

#5 ·
Mouse traps. Sticky is easy to use but spring loaded is recycle friendly.:)

During day time, turn off the lights and look for day light, including the vents and pipes that go through the roof. You may not see light through the chimney but loose flashing is another entry.

Little concrete over wire mesh (stud bays, example) is cheaper than steel wool.

#2 ·
Basically, you live in someone's attic. That is the roof above you.....with no insulation. I'm sure it's going to be nice and 'toasty' in the summer.

Those hinges are a way of holding up temporary walls.

I'm guessing you are renting the space, hence, not much you can do.

What is your objective? If it's to close off the gap, then you don't have a lot of choices. If it was me, I'd be hanging cloth.

#3 ·
I'm pretty much allowed to renovate the space (superficially) as I'd like. So long as I'm not totally changing the structure of the frame/roof, which I don't have the $ or skills to do anyway, it's all fair game.

I've been living here for almost a year, and yea insulation is nonexistent and it can get drafty, but overall it's been manageable, so I'm not very concerned about that. I'm only starting to think about filling in these gaps recently because there's been mice crawling in through the walls of the house....

I don't leave food in my room, keep it clean, fill in small holes with steel wool, etc etc but they still come, so this is kind of the only other solution I can think of...

#6 ·
Those, "walls" are scrap lumber. This is tantamount to living in a cave if that's what you intend to do.
This is not a legal living space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.