Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Slab on grade garage?

It appears that the last owner of my house took a paved parking stall and build a garage on it. I get some slight leakage under the walls, but everything is pressure treated so its not THAT bad..

What can I do to help keep the water out?? Also this is fully sided and the siding goes all the way down to the dirt, is there a way to prefect the siding with it being so low?

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 6

Slab on grade garage?

Post some pictures. Tell us what the foundation is for the garage. What is the siding made of. I assume prefect is a typo, what did you mean? Why is the water coming in, does the grade slope towards your garage? Do you have gutters?

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Slab on grade garage?

So, they basically took a Carport & enclosed it, you are saying.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

Slab on grade garage?

Most garages are built with footings and stub walls or thickened slabs of concrete. Building codes require this to protect the siding and framing materials from rot and water damage. Anything less is structurally unsafe and prone to rot. Pictures would be helpful.

Be safe, Gary