Skirting On A Doublewide - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

skirting on a doublewide

I'm purchasing a double wide (rent to own until the summer) but the bank stated it had to have a "stucco" skirting before they would finance it.

I've been reading and some say stucco isn't good for those areas that get very cold? I'm in WV and it gets pretty cold here!!!
Would the insulating boards they now have work or do you think they just want actual stucco?
Also been told a company around here will do it for $1,500... looking at all the work involved this sounds a bit cheap?

Advertisement

LilTuffGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,310

skirting on a doublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
...but (edit: someone at the) bank stated it had to have a "stucco" skirting before they would finance it.

Also been told a company around here will do (edit: something) for $1,500... looking at all the work involved this sounds a bit cheap?
Go back to the PERSON at the bank and say "huh?"
Then... "please give me some sort of specification sheet on what you expect".

hth

ps: If you really want to be careful...
do some research on what a scam 99% of "rent to own" deals are.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 694

skirting on a doublewide

Around here they want it to be a permmant foundation not just skirting before any finacing.
And your right stucco should not be installed below grade. Even James Hardee panels could not be used for the same reason.
I also would go back and ask more questions.
I'd also be looking long and hard at buying a double wide.
There's just so many homes right now being sold way below there org. price some below what the pay off is just to get them off the books.
Any of the mobil homes I've seen and worked on since I moved south have been very cheaply made and will loose, not gain value over time.
I was just messing around and trying to come up with a selling price on a home were going to be selling in Keysville VA and found a bunch of homes in the $70,000 to as low as $50,000. in the area.
All real houses, real foundations. Some had an acre of land.
In the past I've owned several mobile homes but they were made up north and made totaly differant then the southern ones. Real plywood floors, 10" of insulation in the ceilings, real 2 X 4 walls, vinyl double pane windows.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

skirting on a doublewide

I'm paying $41k (his payoff) for this nice doublewide on 3 acres of fenced in land.... Im all for it
Pay it off then put something else on the other land I can purchase later and build a nice barn where trailer now is. I've got plans the payment will be the best part!!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

skirting on a doublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
I'm paying $41k (his payoff) for this nice doublewide on 3 acres of fenced in land.... Im all for it
Pay it off then put something else on the other land I can purchase later and build a nice barn where trailer now is. I've got plans the payment will be the best part!!
Sounds like you've got a nice deal in the makes.

The problem is that, if the bank doesn't float you the loan, you're out. You'll need to re-check with them and find out exactly what they require in order to issue the loan, then check local codes to see what they require. It's only then that you can determine exactly what to have done, and who to hire to do it. Truth is, this whole home-buying thing can be a real pain in the butt.

Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 42

skirting on a doublewide

Wouldn't the bank rather have some nice vinyl skirting under that double wide? Vented, of course. I can't figure out their rationale for wanting stucco or any cement product unless they somehow figure it will depreciate less if it looks like it has a permanent foundation. The guys that built the neighbor's post and beam addition put up plywood with a concrete veneer. I don't think there is anything between the plywood and concrete but 3 years later, it has not cracked.

Last edited by Jim F; 01-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

skirting on a doublewide

I MUCH rather have the high quality brick looking vynil skirting! I have the plain stuff now and there are holes in it.
Bank said stucco though. Maybe I'll ask them about alternatives. Maybe go to a mobile home store as well.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 694

skirting on a doublewide

Go to a real siding supply store. There's faux brick and stone products that would work and look better then stucco.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote