Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

siding starter strip

Can I just use a regular un-treated wood for my hardie siding starter strip? I have a table saw and can just rip down a 2x4 to the correct height and thickness. If I use treated only the end cuts will be treated so that seems like it defeats the purpose. I would rather not rip down hardie board to use for a starter strip because I would have to use my circular saw and it does not do a good job at connecting dust like my miter saw with a vacuum attachment.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,288

siding starter strip

You’re in cedar country, rip some cedar.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

siding starter strip

You'll have to use a circular saw sooner or later for some cuts. If you're concerned about the dust, Ridgid makes a 5" circ saw specifically for cutting Hardie (and like materials such as backer boards). It has a built in dust collection system. Comes with an 8' hose and a "cap" that clamps onto a 5 gal. bucket and the dust is collected in the bucket. Mfgr. claims it catches 90% of the dust and I can attest that it does at least that well from my experience. HD carries them usually. I think they sell for around $170.00. You can get a reconditioned one at reconditionedtools.com for $129.00 plus shipping ($7.99 flat rate). My oldest son borrowed it to cut back some tile in a customer's house to install a threshold (used a diamond blade) and said it did an awesome job on that too. Very little dust escaped. Only drawback I've found is it doesn't have a depth of cut adjustment (don't know why). Great product overall....