Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Siding replacement question

Hey guys,

I currently have Revere Berkshire Beaded Vinyl siding on my house. The house is only about 3 years old and I've already had a lot of fading from the sun on the vinyl.

I've been working with the manufacturer (GenTek) and they've been pretty good about it so far. While it took a while to go through the process they've agreed to replace all my siding (with the same siding) or cut me check for $5000.

I know the house used about 32 squares of siding during construction, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's better to have them do the replacement, or take the money and get someone else to do it. I'm betting replacement is the better option because I don't think I'd be able to get the house sided for under 5K.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

MeatballCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

So they are offering you all the material (no labor),--- or ---no material, no labor, and a check for $5000?...Or are they offering to replace the siding including labor (My estimated value of about $10,000)? If it includes labor then that is a far better deal. If not, then take the cash...You might also want to consider an upgrade to their Soveriegn line. It is much better quality.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

They are offering to fully remove and replace (including labor) the old siding, so it does sound like that is a better deal.

I'll have to ask them if there's a chance of upgrading to a different siding at all if I pay a bit out of pocket.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Home Performance

I would definitely say that is a better deal. For $5000 you are only really being compensated for the material if your size of 32sq is correct. Revere isn't a hugely popular brand, but I haven't seen many problems. As I said, the Sovereign is definetly an upgrade (.046 gauge) over the Berkshire, so I'd think they'd be happy to install that if you paid the difference... I have to say that I'm pretty impressed that they are willing to pay for the labor 3yrs after install. I don't think that is standard policy.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

They have a lifetime warranty against fading. We must have been part of a bad lot because we started seeing fading within 18 months and it's just gotten worse.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Home Performance

I'm aware of the fade warranty, I just didn't think it covered labor. Good for you though!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

Two Comments:
If the $5,000 is intended to cover labor, then you would be better off having them do the work. Said differently, you would be hard-pressed to find a contractor who will replace that much siding for $5,000.
Have you considered using insulated vinyl siding? If all you are paying is the upgrade charge, it would pay for itself in a couple years by reducing your heating and A/C bills.

Bruce
Renovation Pros of NC, LLC
www.raleighsidingcompany.com
RenovationPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #8

how much energy does it save?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #9

Yeah, I've thought about upgrading it. Unfortunately, the warranty states that the siding must be replaced with the same product, if available. I called and asked if I could upgrade and pay the difference, but they said no.

I was also thinking maybe I could wait till after they tear it off and maybe put on some hard foam insulation myself, or maybe even talk with the contractor they hire to come replace it. Maybe work out a deal with them directly.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #10

You should be able to choose your installer and negotiate with them on what else you want...
RenovationPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenovationPro View Post
You should be able to choose your installer and negotiate with them on what else you want...
This is a warranty, not an insurance job. He has no control over who they send out to install the siding. Furthermore, Revere has no insulated option, nor does it offer any energy savings in comparison to an xps board of the appropriate thickness. The rigidity of it is nice though.... Meatball, I think you are on the right track. I would think that the installers would be interested in installing a foam board for you if you make it worth their while.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #12

Would the installation of the foam board cause any problems with the soffit or anything?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Home Performance

It depends how it was installed. If the soffit is behind (above) the siding, then its no problem. If the siding was done first and the soffit butts against the face of it, then it could pose a little bit more of a challenge.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #14

Yeah, it appears to be above. Though if the siding kicks out an extra half an inch or more due to the foam it looks like a bit of the vent would get covered over.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #15

A fading warrenty is a great thing! Many contractors suggest using a lighter siding color so it doesn't attract so much sun and fade quicker.

ryecandy is offline   Reply With Quote