Shower Tile Fix - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower tile fix

I really need some help here other than rip it out and start over - although that may be the most professional and safest thing to do - I do not have that option

I have to replace tiles for a custom shower. We are leaving the floor in tact - its in great shape. However I will tile over it.

I have pulled out the tile and cement board on the walls. Walls are stripped down to the studs. As I pulled out the cement board off the walls, I left about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of cement board wedged between the liner and the cement pan. I can't get it out without potentially poking a whole in the liner. The question is, can I drop my new cement board right on top or should I seal it first with silicone or something?

Once I put up the new CB (I'm using HardieBacker 500) I plan on applying a coat of thin set to the existing floor and CB where they meet. Then I plan on using Redgard to waterproof the seams then thin set and tile..

I attached a pic of the wall

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Shower tile fix-cement-board-remaining.jpg  

Advertisement

joemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

Shower tile fix

I think you are on the right track but whatever you do DO NOT install nails or screws through the cement board where there is the liner behind it. DO NOT PENETRATE THE LINER for any reason. Let the cement board fly at the bottom. The subsequent thinset/filler will trap the board in place and you will be fine.

What are you going to do with the thickness of new tile at the drain?

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Shower tile fix

Thanks Bud... so do you think the silicone first is a good idea? Regarding the drain, I found a product that extents the drain ring by 1/4 in. Specifilly designed for tileing over tile in a dranage area.
joemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

Shower tile fix

Quote:
Thanks Bud... so do you think the silicone first is a good idea? Regarding the drain, I found a product that extents the drain ring by 1/4 in.
I see no reason to use silicone for the edge of the wallboard but if your neat there is no reason not to. Just don't smear around too much because nothing will stick to it. Be sure to fill with thinset then liquid waterproof the fill.

Quote:
Thanks Bud... so do you think the silicone first is a good idea? Regarding the drain, I found a product that extents the drain ring by 1/4 in.
That'll work. Be sure to silicone the extension thoroughly to the previous.