Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower tile cracked

We had a buch of cracked tiles on the floor of our shower. They have been cracked for awhile(don't ask how long). My husband recently removed all the cracked tiles and there is moisture under the tiles. It makes sense to me, as the tiles were cracked. The question is two fold. One, we have no idea what we are looking at now. It looks like a concrete slab. It is moist, but is already a tad dryer since he removed the tiles. What do we do next. Do we simply lay down the new tiles and assume it was wet bc of the cracks. We are obviously worried about water damage and mold. This shower is on the second floor and there are no obvious signs of a leak or overflow. This shower is used twice a day and the cracks seemed significantly large. My husband is freking out and lost as to what to do next.

KevinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,874

Shower tile cracked

That sounds like a mud base with a liner---here is a link showing how they are made==How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Often the pre-slope is missing under the liner---water gets under the mud deck and the sits there--unable to drain the deck---you may have that situation---

Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 262

Shower tile cracked

I'm guessing you already know you have two choices. You just haven't figured out which to go with.

1) It hasn't leaked so you assume it was done right under the tile. Replace the tile.

2) You question why the original tiles cracked in the first place. They shouldn't have. You suspect that the fact they did is indicating a possible problem with how the shower was installed in the first place. You decide not to take a chance of doing the repair only to later have leakage show up downstairs and you have to tear it up anyhow. But now, X amount of time later, there is X amount of more damage to repair.

There is possibly only one person on the planet that knows for sure how it was done originally. Have you had any other plumbing related issues in the house? I'd use that information too when deciding how to proceed. Usually the worst part of a person's work shows first, but skill and habits don't change much while working in a single home. Just saying.

Last edited by old_squid; 04-27-2013 at 10:53 PM.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

Shower tile cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWhite View Post
We had a buch of cracked tiles on the floor of our shower. They have been cracked for awhile(don't ask how long). My husband recently removed all the cracked tiles and there is moisture under the tiles. It makes sense to me, as the tiles were cracked. The question is two fold. One, we have no idea what we are looking at now. It looks like a concrete slab. It is moist, but is already a tad dryer since he removed the tiles. What do we do next. Do we simply lay down the new tiles and assume it was wet bc of the cracks. We are obviously worried about water damage and mold. This shower is on the second floor and there are no obvious signs of a leak or overflow. This shower is used twice a day and the cracks seemed significantly large. My husband is freking out and lost as to what to do next.
Ok what your looking at is the shower pan here is another link on how to do one right. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=289z0...%3D289z0qjzH5A
That is the step by step and you will learn that tile and grout is not water proof. so that is why it damp. No leaks replace the tile and don't worry.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,482

Shower tile cracked

I disagree^ Tiles do not just crack.When you have several cracked, something moved. Shower pans are sloped for a reason, some moisture is going to get through your grout and to the pan. So some moisture under the tile is not the big problem of course there is a lot more got thru because of the cracked tiles. What I would be worried about is why the tiles cracked. If just for peace of mind I would have someone come in and look at the shower pan and show them where the cracked tile where.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
framer52 (04-28-2013)

Tags
shower tile