Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |

Shower Help

We've tackled everywhere else but are stumped on this bathroom. The picture shows the sink area, the shower is to the right. The purple sheet rock is replacement. The off white is original. This is how the bathroom came to us so the previous owners started and didn't finish. The picture shows the sink area. To the right is the shower which is currently surrounded by the purple and has a cement floor like the rest of the bathroom. There is just a concrete lip that outlines the shower area. The bathroom also came with two large sheets of a plastic material which are supposed to go on the walls. They link together with a strip of plastic that also came with the bathroom. What is this and how is it used? How do I make sure the purple sheet rock is the correct kind to use near the shower? My husband does not want to use the shower stall that came with the purchase, he wants to waterproof the walls that are used by the shower and then hang an L shaped curtain to wrap around. How do we go about this and more importantly what are the correct materials? What do we do with the shower floor and walls? How do we use/install the plastic sheets that came with the house for the bathroom? The walls outside the shower area that may get wet? The floor in the area outside the shower?

HELP!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Help-image-1098018761.jpg  

jessicalouise5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

Shower Help

Think that's National Gypsum's 'Purple Board', a special moisture-resistant gypsum board for showers etc...so that's fine - it's better than the regular stuff. Purple one side, gray on the back right?

Now the two plastic sheets you have are probably two vinyl shower surround panels that are joined together with the plastic strip you have somewhere...needs to be contact-cemented onto the purple board for two waterproof shower walls.

The floor is a whole other discussion.

Where are you?

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Shower Help

FYI, Fuel fired water heaters are prohibited in bathrooms or closets open to them unless it is a direct vent type.
OpieGoneBad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpieGoneBad For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Shower Help

Something look wrong to me about that floor, hard to say from the picture but it looks like there's wood floor joist sitting in concrete.

The drain for a shower needs to be 2" with a trap and a vent, all I see is what looks like a pipe up againt the wall.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Shower Help

Thanks for all the advise. The water heater is no longer in that location. And I hired someone since the bathroom is overwhelming!
jessicalouise5 is offline   Reply With Quote