Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shower Frame Seal

I've got a perfectly good set of shower doors but they were originally installed with a calking material. After a few years, the calking deteriorates and we get some mold or stains in the crevices. Many new shower door sets come with a grey vinyl seal on a roll that never seems to deteriorate (we have one of those too). Anyway, rather than scraping out the old calking and re-calking again... I'm wondering if its possible to buy the 1.75" wide grey vinyl material either online or at retail? I would need roughly 16 feet of it to go from the top of one side, down to the bottom, across the threshold, and then back up to the top of the other side. I'm not sure if this stuff has an adhesive backing or you just screw through it and the pressure keeps it perfectly aligned.

The glass shower doors are in perfect condition, actually seem better quality than I'm seeing at the big box stores. And the aluminum extrusions are still bright and very shiny, so there's no need to replace them either. PITA to do, but even if I replaced the calk I'd have to clean out the old stuff. The extrusion is definitely 1.75" wide so I can't get by with less than that.

Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #2

Shower Frame Seal

I have never seen a shower door with a vinyl extrusion. The verticals are screwed to the wall and the interior is caulked and the base is caulked to the tub.
Post a photo of this extrusion.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Shower Frame Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I have never seen a shower door with a vinyl extrusion. The verticals are screwed to the wall and the interior is caulked and the base is caulked to the tub.
Post a photo of this extrusion.
Ron
As noted in my OP, the extrusions are aluminum and in like new condition. What I'm looking for is a roll of 1.75" wide X 1/16" thick grey vinyl in a long enough strip to put behind the aluminum extrusions that run up both sides and the base. So I figure around 20 feet would do it. It looks something like this:

This would be perfect if it was 1-3/4" wide. Calking is kind of old-school and it always winds up building up mold.

Mike
Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Shower Frame Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
As noted in my OP, the extrusions are aluminum and in like new condition. What I'm looking for is a roll of 1.75" wide X 1/16" thick grey vinyl in a long enough strip to put behind the aluminum extrusions that run up both sides and the base. So I figure around 20 feet would do it. It looks something like this:

This would be perfect if it was 1-3/4" wide. Calking is kind of old-school and it always winds up building up mold.

Mike
Do a search for,"Shower door Seals". You should be able to come up with something.
I have various shower door companies install glass in baths I do every year. I've never seen them use any material under the metal.
Ron
Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

Shower Frame Seal

I've probably spent an hour plus already looking... still haven't found the elusive 1-3/4" wide seal I need. Going to Call "Mr.ShowerDoor" which is a local company that specializes in door installs only. They did the one sliding door in our house with the right width material. I had asked the guy a few years ago when the installer was out and he said they didn't sell the material. Everything they do is based on an install, so he said the only way I could get it was to buy another new door and have them install it. They don't sell doors without thier installation... very specialized company, and maybe the snobby policy has changed.

BTW, they are in Western Mass and have a beautiful showroom and several installer trucks. Business must be good.

Mike
Old 12-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Shower Frame Seal

Try here:
www.allaboutdoors.com
Ron

Tags
calk, shower door, vinyl seal