Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

shower faucet valve leaking

Hello, can someone please tell me what is the name and part# of this shower faucet stem cartridge? It is leaking profusely. The way it should work is that when I pull up on the stem all the water should be diverted to the shower head at the top. However as it is now, only half the water comes up and the rest just spills onto the floor shower stall. If possible please direct me to some photos on the web of what this stem looks like so I can get correct replacement from Home Depot(?). Thanks so much in advance
Attached Thumbnails
shower faucet valve leaking-faucet1.jpg   shower faucet valve leaking-faucet2.jpg  

throne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #2

Just unscrew/pull it out, then go to HD or Lowes to get a new replacement for like 15 bucks ...

Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

Either there is a set screw under the bottom close to the wall or the whole spout unscrews, most unscrew. Fairly easy to replace if it unscrews. Those set screws are usually corroded tight. There is nothing repairable in the spout, you need a new one.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
DIY staff

Once you figure out weather it is screwed on to a threaded pipe --or pushed on over a copper stub-out and held on with an Allen set screw--

Go to a real plumbing supply house to get a replacement---I have had nothing but failure trying to use the replacement spouts at the box stores.
Expect to spend about $30.00 for a quality replacement.--Mike
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

I agree with Mike; many plumbing parts made for mass distribution through big box stores are manufactured to meet a price point, not performance, and so have interior plastic elements - that normally are metal.

In this case, the valve piece that slams shut when you lift the knob, is probably worn and doesn't seat right anymore. A new one will get you by for a few years but a good one will do better.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #6

I had a similar problem in my shower where I believe the seal was starting to go bad, as when I would pull up the stopper it would emit an awful screeching noise unless I positioned the handle just right. It simply screwed off and a $27 later I had a replacement with no issues.

Be sure before you start twisting that there isn't a set screw.
ClumsyCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #7

Hows the water pressure? Sometimes they leak if there's a lack of good water pressure.
if ya got a well, change the filter.

fun stuff lol

albiechaser is offline   Reply With Quote