Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower caulking help please

So my shower floor caulking is disgusting, it's a big mess and it's turned black. Also there's a mild smell (it's almost clean-smelling?). My original intentions were to rip up the caulking, clean, and replace it. Upon my first attempt I immediately noticed that the tiled floor along the edges (where caulked) sunk down, which explains the terrible caulking, they must have filled the surrounding edge in with caulking.
I'd also considered replacing the tiled shower floor with a shower pan, but I'm concerned that's it's too complex a job for me, as apparently this sort of work can include reforming the floor to suit the shape of the pan. I don't have experience with mortar
What should I do?!

HandyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

How about some pics.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #3

Still considering replacing it with a shower pan. Could have my brother help out with the mortar, he works construction.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

That shower shows all the signs of failure----That level of grunge is usually caused by a moldy backing board----

When it's time for instruction on building a shower pan and surround there are several experienced members who will walk you through the process.

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

---Mike---
Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Whoever caulked that should never pick up a caulking gun again. There should be a thin bead of caulk under the bottom row of tile, not that globbed mess that actually catches water and is a breeding ground for mold.
There is also a cleaning issue that needs to be addressed. Mold on the grout lines shows that the shower area isn't cleaned as often as it should be.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Whoever caulked that should never pick up a caulking gun again. There should be a thin bead of caulk under the bottom row of tile, not that globbed mess that actually catches water and is a breeding ground for mold.
There is also a cleaning issue that needs to be addressed. Mold on the grout lines shows that the shower area isn't cleaned as often as it should be.

Now THAT is being diplomatic indeed
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Well, you know Ron. Always the peace-making diplomat.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Since you're renting the apartment and do not own it, you might want to go to the landlord and point out that the shower tile has failed and that not addressing it could lead to structural issues beneath it. If that does not prompt him or her to have it properly replaced then at least get them to pay for materials for you to do it.

It is certainly something you can tackle. The issue will be that you'll be out of a shower for the period that you're working on it. Do you belong to a gym?
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Being in the apartment ownership business, yes. That shower which is full of fail falls on the landlord to get taken care of, especially of the floor is sinking. Don't try anything yourself really, or the owner mike make a case against it. They shouldn't and they should fix it.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight
Since you're renting the apartment and do not own it, you might want to go to the landlord and point out that the shower tile has failed and that not addressing it could lead to structural issues beneath it. If that does not prompt him or her to have it properly replaced then at least get them to pay for materials for you to do it.

It is certainly something you can tackle. The issue will be that you'll be out of a shower for the period that you're working on it. Do you belong to a gym?
Even if you aren't handy capable, its obvious there's a problem with the shower. That being said, I don't imagine them doing anything to fix it, having had the opportunity when the apartment was empty the past 2+ months.
Appreciate the input guys, just got up and not quite making big decisions yet lol, but sounds like replacing the shower floor is the only way to go.
As far as them making a case against me, that's definitely something I'll be cautious about. They are nice people though, even if they aren't responsible, I'm sure something can be worked out.

Last edited by HandyMatt; 11-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If the shower was cleaned appropriately, the mold wouldn't be there. The half assed caulking would, but not the mold.
He wanted a solution to the, " shower floor caulking is disgusting, it's a big mess and it's turned black. Also there's a mild smell..."
That's what he got.
If you can't see the area to determine if anything else is an issue, what's the point?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If the shower was cleaned appropriately, the mold wouldn't be there. The half assed caulking would, but not the mold.
He wanted a solution to the, " shower floor caulking is disgusting, it's a big mess and it's turned black. Also there's a mild smell..."
That's what he got.
If you can't see the area to determine if anything else is an issue, what's the point?

I agree, I would not set foot( or anything else) in there.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #13

For record, I only moved in oct 30th, and I did scrub the shower.. =P
Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Don't be to rough on the guy---that shows signs of organic mastic dissolving and being eaten by mold

He could scrub that with bleach and recaulk it and it would look bad within two weeks.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMatt View Post
For record, I only moved in oct 30th, and I did scrub the shower.. =P
You need a chlorine based material to kill mold. There are plenty available, commercially.