Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Should this be tested for asbestos

Two products are attached to the floor of this bathroom. One is a sheet above the joists and below the flooring (some has been spray painted white, some remains tan). The other is in a similar location, but colored black (most of it looks like it has been ripped out).

I know the only way to know if something contains asbestos is to get it tested, but is this the sort of thing you would spend the time and money to have tested or am I just being paranoid? Parts of the house are 1908 and others are 1940.
Attached Thumbnails
Should this be tested for asbestos-img_20140330_125026-1280x960-.jpg   Should this be tested for asbestos-img_20140330_125037-1280x960-.jpg   Should this be tested for asbestos-img_20140330_125054-1280x960-.jpg   Should this be tested for asbestos-img_20140330_125120-1280x960-.jpg  

zipmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 90

If you are not sure, you need to send a sample off to be tested. Most likely just Masonite board. Think of it as Wood pulp Fiber board, before it becomes Cardboard or paper.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
zipmsp (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 112

Probably tentest type board put up to keep the dirt from falling through the cracks in the plank flooring laid directly on the joists.
zipmsp (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Thanks. I plan on having both tested.
zipmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Most times it does not have Asbestos. If Tentest, no Asbestos to worry about. Celotex is another product that looks like this. I would be worried about having the fibers from it floating in the air, causing you to get itchy.

If you plan on taking it down, treat it like you do with Fiberglass Insulation. Mask, eye protection. long sleeved shirts and pants. Wet the product down with Water with a little bit of Dish Detergent in it. You can use a Garden Pump sprayer to wet it down, while you remove and bag it.

Then just toss in the trash dumpster.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
zipmsp (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Also place a fan in the window and seal open part of window where fan is not.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinK For This Useful Post:
zipmsp (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Also place a fan in the window and seal open part of window where fan is not.
Especially if you are gutting a room. I found that the fan looks worse then you do, when pulling down old Gyprock.

When we gutted our bath, one of the neighbors came knocking on our door, due to it looked like Smoke going out of the window that the fan was in. Nope, just a bunch of Gypsum & Cement/Plaster.

It is odd how it takes less time to gut a space, then it does to put the drywall up and finish it.