This Should Prove Interesting - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

This Should Prove Interesting

Just ran into this article online somewhere but didn't pay any attention to where so it could be properly credited. If not giving proper credit is a problem for someone I'll try to find it again.

In the meantime...
Does Lowe's think their employees are suddenly going to become home improvement geniuses simply because they have a new iPhone in their apron pocket?
ARTICLE:
On a snowy day back in 1978 Citibank did something that changed consumer banking experience forever. It introduced the ATM.
In three weeks, Lowe’s, the nation’s second biggest home improvement store, will attempt to do the same for retailing. It will introduce an online tool called “myLowes” that will enable consumers to access information and advice about their home improvement preferences via the internet, customized to fit their needs.
This is a 24/7 home improvement concierge that provides counseling and information. It allows customers to build room-by-room profiles of their homes and to experiment with different styles virtually. They can archive purchases from Lowe’s, or receive a reminder to change a refrigerator’s filter. Lowe’s is hopeful that this will inspire consumers to become more creative when it comes to home improvement, facilitating an evolution of the customer’s shopping experience.
Home improvement is overwhelming for most people. “myLowes” will make the experience more user friendly, allowing customers to consult with store employees online as they plan out home improvement projects. It is an expansion for Lowe’s greater reliance on technology to improve and make the shopping experience more pleasant. They recently distributed 42,000 iPhones to employees for in-store use as means of searching products and ringing up sales.
Tom Lamb
Tom Lamb, Lowe’s Senior VP, Marketing believes that “MyLowes” is a game changer. “We are transforming Lowe’s from a retailer to a dynamic and exciting brand that can connect emotionally with one of the most important things to people, their homes.” It also serves to integrate Lowe’s into people’s lives in a much more meaningful and useful way than just relying on the stores, thus building brand loyalty and creating lifetime customers. To celebrate its new approach, Lowe’s is breaking new advertising from its agency BBDO, with the slogan “Never Stop Improving”, replacing the old slogan “Let’s Build Something Together”.
Tom referred to a personal anecdote to illustrate how “myLowes” can make a difference in people’s life lives. Not long after moving into a new home, his wife noticed a small crack in one of the walls and asked him to fix it. “I plastered and primed it and then asked my wife where the paint sample was. We couldn’t find it. So I had to go back and forth to the store, until we found the right tint. What was a half hour project ended up lasting the whole weekend. With ‘myLowes’ I’d be able to access information about which paint we wanted in seconds.”

Advertisement

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Quote:
Does Lowe's think their employees are suddenly going to become home improvement geniuses simply because they have a new iPhone in their apron pocket
Well sure, they were geniuses before the phone, now their just that much better.

Brilliant marketing though.

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Well sure, they were geniuses before the phone, now their just that much better.
You are right though. If they know little to nothing now, having some resource other than what they think they remember hearing someone who looked like a contractor say last week, certainly can't hurt
Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

I could see it as a plus for those of us that shop there all the time, and want to keep track of stuff. I use my iphone all the time to look stuff up while on the go, so to me it is a valuable tool. As for the employees, I can see this as a asset in the way that those carrying them (only 25 iPhones per stores), that those managers or those in certain departments can speed up stuff.

Barnes & Noble is using the iPhone in their store. Kmart & Sears is going with the Motorola solution, which is around $1 billion, but the problem is, how much longer is Sears going be around, along with Kmart. Also, those retailers that stay in the dark ages are going to be passed up by those adopting to the needs of their customers, and the future of retail.

http://www.ntca.org/new-edge/other/my-lowes
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._overhaul.html
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Tileguy

BEFORE...when those guys would be asked a question on the floor of their department they could go and ask someone if they didn't have the answer.

NOW...I'm sure they will all be pressured to have a quick answer and I'll just bet their conversations will be tracked and they would be more likely to spit out something stupid than to say "hold on and I'll ask someone".

Quote:
Brilliant marketing though.
Well maybe! If you have a fleet of lawyers on retainer to squash all the new complaints as a result of bad advice given to unsuspecting soles.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Mod

I was referring to designing your rooms with their products from home and saving the info.

I would guess they could bring up your saved projects in the store and help you fill the cart, or better yet have it all pulled and waiting for you to pick up.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
I was referring to designing your rooms with their products from home and saving the info.
I suppose if a person is looking at their website with their phone in one hand and their credit card in the other then maybe they could instantly close a sale like that. I wonder what incentive an employee has to even deal with the process.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I suppose if a person is looking at their website with their phone in one hand and their credit card in the other then maybe they could instantly close a sale like that. I wonder what incentive an employee has to even deal with the process.
None, other than if they don’t like their job there’s plenty of others out there that would.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 332

And Menards quietly continues to steal market share around here with their

old fashioned way of doing business.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to High Gear For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (09-29-2011), oh'mike (09-28-2011), Willie T (09-29-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Less Churn, more sales.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Tileguy

Quote:
And Menards quietly continues to steel market share around here with their old fashioned way of doing business.
Same here.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,298

No Menards within 100 miles of here.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

I mix it up. What I can't get at Lowe's, I go to Menard's. Here it is a mixed share.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I mix it up. What I can't get at Lowe's, I go to Menard's. Here it is a mixed share.
You canít grab your building supplies AND a gallon of milk at Lowes though.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
You can’t grab your building supplies AND a gallon of milk at Lowes though.
Don't forget the dog biscuits. It's always good to have a few dog biscuits on the truck just in case. Menard's sells them.

Advertisement