Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I treat the existing framing for my deck?

I decided to replace the deck on my house. House is about 17 years old. Original deck framing seems to be in good condition. Since I would like to do things right, I was thinking about staining the frame of the deck to give extra protection for the years to come. On the deck self I'm thinking about using composite material.Can anybody tell me is staining of frame is right thing to do, or is there any other method of protecting the wood. Thanks for any suggestion!

Last edited by renoet; 05-06-2009 at 07:18 PM.
renoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You would use a wood protector on the frame. If you just use a stain, it's just color, not a protector. If you want to color it, in addition to protecting the wood, get a stain that has the protector incorporated into the material.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,140

Personally I would not rebuild a deck on 17 year old framing (I assume non-pressure treated by your question). Once the decking is off it would not ne that much additional work to replace the frame with PT lumber and new hardware. You could then be assured of a long life for your new deck.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #4

If the framing is sound I'd reseal it - wood protector
The wood & framing of the deck at my last house were over 30 years old & still in great shape
In some cases people put "flashing" across the top of the joists to protect from the water
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for your sugestions guys! I really apricciate! Framing is made of pressure treated wood. My original intent was to give extra protection for the framing. So wood protector should do the job. I also like idea of putting flashing across the top of the joints, but could you tell me what kind of flashing( material wise). Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
the Musigician

he most likely means aluminum flashing, i should think, although maybe #15 felt could do the same thing cheaper if it's not to be seen?

DM
Old 05-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #7

Yes, I've heard of roofing felt being used too
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Flashing over my 22 year old joists would have prevented me from having to tear my deck down in the near future I'm guessing. Of course I'd still want to tear it down vs. stripping the white paint off of it....LOL who paints a deck white!?!
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #9

Now I have one more,and I hope last, question: How should I prepair the framing for the wood protector application?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
Residential Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoet View Post
Thanks for your sugestions guys! I really apricciate! Framing is made of pressure treated wood. My original intent was to give extra protection for the framing. So wood protector should do the job. I also like idea of putting flashing across the top of the joints, but could you tell me what kind of flashing( material wise). Thanks again!
Drop the Wood Protector, Use Vycor Flashing, and be done with it,if it is already PT, if you really still want to treat it use Cuprinol or the sort after the flashing is installed, for adhesion purposes, and dont do aluminum you will always see it.
Trace

Tracymc is offline   Reply With Quote