Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Share |

Should I be concerned?!?! Pictures attached

We are going to start finishing our basement but now we have noticed water dripping from behind the vapor barrier and onto the foundation. I would assume that the plywood behind the insulation is covered in ice and now starting to melt when the sun hits it. Anyone have any insight on what to do? I have also attached pictures of our windows. I would assume the vapor barrier is not doing its job? Do you think once we have some return ducts it will ehlp take some of the moisture out of the air? Should I apply another 6 mil vapor barrier and tape all of the seams? The top is not taped and stops right at where the ceiling would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I be concerned?!?! Pictures attached-water-wall-1024x768-.jpg   Should I be concerned?!?! Pictures attached-wateronwindows-1024x768-.jpg  

Last edited by danreg99; 02-01-2011 at 06:55 PM.
danreg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
DIY staff

Kind of confusing pictures----is that exterior window inset into the siding?

What is the flashing around the window like?

You need to give us more to go on--Please more pictures---from outside --of the affected area.

---Mike---

Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Kind of confusing pictures----is that exterior window inset into the siding?

What is the flashing around the window like?

You need to give us more to go on--Please more pictures---from outside --of the affected area.

---Mike---
They are both pictures from the inside (sill plate sitting on foundation wall). I attached pictures of the windows to show the ice forming on the inside.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #4

I wish i could help with your problem. I am loving the color of your siding.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

I'd be concerned. is it maybe a siding problem?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

The outside of the house was wrapped with tyvek and sided properly I believe. I would assume it is moisture from the inside getting past the inferior vapor barrier ( holes all over from staples, stopping where the ceiling would begin, not taped..etc..). Does anyone think if I throw another 6 mil plastic over this barrier,tape all of the seams and minimize staples or should I rip out all of the fiberglass, plastic and spray with closed cell foam? I plan on installing 1/4 log siding instead of sheetrock so I won't have the sheetrock, mud and paint as a vapor barrier.

Last edited by danreg99; 02-01-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1971 View Post
I wish i could help with your problem. I am loving the color of your siding.

Thanks Waterman,

I think we will be painting some of the inside this color too!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Experienced

You might want to do some serious research on the right methods of insulating walls based on the area of the country you live in.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...l-construction
Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
Contractor - Renovations

It would require investigation as to the source of the water. Is it coming from behind or is it condensation on the poly? Also, yes you need to tape the seams and seal the top and bottom, it should be a continuous vapour barrier.

If you are worried about the staple holes, then tuck tape them, don't put another layer

Anyway, if that is condensation on the poly, you got a problem with insulation, it shouldn't be that cold on that side of the insulation. If it's condensation on the sheathing dripping in, then your vapour barrier isn't working (which could be the case, seeing as it isn't continuous...) ?

Another thought is water vapour driven in from solar radiation. the sun heats the cladding and sheathing kind of forcing it to dry out and forcing it inwards... something we don't deal with in my area, so you;d have to ask someone else about that.

What the heck is up with that window and what type is it? Is it aluminum?

Last edited by fungku; 02-02-2011 at 01:05 AM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreg99 View Post
We are going to start finishing our basement but now we have noticed water dripping from behind the vapor barrier and onto the foundation. I would assume that the plywood behind the insulation is covered in ice and now starting to melt when the sun hits it. Anyone have any insight on what to do? I have also attached pictures of our windows. I would assume the vapor barrier is not doing its job? Do you think once we have some return ducts it will ehlp take some of the moisture out of the air? Should I apply another 6 mil vapor barrier and tape all of the seams? The top is not taped and stops right at where the ceiling would be.
Remove the insulation where the water is coming in and trace it to the source. Then go outside and see what's going on there.
These are older windows that are pictured. Is the frost something new? You don't mention a previous history.
Did you move in recently?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #11

Ron,

Unfortunately they are brand new vinyl windows (finished 11/10). We have had problems with every single window in our house.

Fungku,

The vapor barrier is put up so poorly that I can reach my hand up under the plastic and feel the plywood under the insulation. It is all frosted over. Do you think fixing the barrier would stop most of the frost from forming?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Ron,

Unfortunately they are brand new vinyl windows (finished 11/10). We have had problems with every single window in our house.

Fungku,

The vapor barrier is put up so poorly that I can reach my hand up under the plastic and feel the plywood under the insulation. It is all frosted over. Do you think fixing the barrier would stop most of the frost from forming?
They looked like the old Pella profile.
The frost issue could be a bad window installation where the perimeter wasn't insulated properly.
It could be a high humidity level in the house.
Or a little of both.
The issue in the basement needs to be traced with the insulation removed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Contractor - Renovations

Quote:
Ron,

Fungku,

It could very well stop it. The water vapour from the heated inside space is likely condensing on the cold sheathing and turning to frost.

Your vapour barrier is there to stop the water vapour in your warm room from diffusing past the insulation to the other side where it is cold.
If it is not stopped it will go to the cold side and condense.

If that is what happening and is the only cause, then sealing the vapour barrier would solve the problem. Acoustic Sealant/black death and tuck tape are your frenemies here.

Think of your warm inside air as a hot summer day, and your sheathing as a cold can of beer fresh from the fridge. What happens to the can?

As for the window, it probably wasn't installed and insulated/sealed properly as stated above.

Last edited by fungku; 02-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
The outside of the house was wrapped with tyvek and sided properly I believe. I would assume it is moisture from the inside getting past the inferior vapor barrier ( holes all over from staples, stopping where the ceiling would begin, not taped..etc..). Does anyone think if I throw another 6 mil plastic over this barrier,tape all of the seams and minimize staples or should I rip out all of the fiberglass, plastic and spray with closed cell foam? I plan on installing 1/4 log siding instead of sheetrock so I won't have the sheetrock, mud and paint as a vapor barrier.
I really don't see how adding more plastic will solve the problem. It would be like a band-aid. Something to cover up the problem. You need to find the origin of the moisture first. If you have holes, then they need to be sealed or caulked.

Make sure you have properly sealed around the window and door opening flashings.

BTW, Tyvek is an air and vapor retarder, not a moisture barrier

Last edited by NewEnglandYank; 02-03-2011 at 06:46 AM.
NewEnglandYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Contractor - Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandYank View Post
I really don't see how adding more plastic will solve the problem. It would be like a band-aid. Something to cover up the problem. You need to find the origin of the moisture first. If you have holes, then they need to be sealed or caulked.

Make sure you have properly sealed around the window and door opening flashings.

BTW, Tyvek is an air and vapor retarder, not a moisture barrier
Actually tyvek is a moisture barrier and an air barrier if sealed properly.

It lets vapour through.

Like Gore-tex. The rain stays out but you stay dry because it "breathes" (i.e. vapour permeable).