Should I Avoide Hanging Cabinets Against Foundation - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should i avoide hanging cabinets against foundation

I live in a basement apartment and i want cabinet space. I see room for 11 feet across a ceiling/back wall. I have the need for it too.

When an electrician came to do some work he said " surface mount the light switches cause hammering and chiseling the foundation could cause cracking, that eventually could lead to leakage and or draft"

It was only several inches from a new basement exit door so i looked at him like he had two heads. He said it for a reason though ya know.

Should i avoid hanging cabinets on a basement foundation wall or is it a go ahead to pick stuff out and have an installer come hang them?

Advertisement

styleten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

A whole lot differant just drilling a hole for a screw and having to make a 2 X 4" hole to recess a box in the wall.
Does the landlord know about your plan? It's going to make holes in his walls and cabinets may be concidered perminite fixtures and have to be left behind when you move and if you did remove them the holes will need to patched and will show.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

Thanks. I'll try to figure out how many holes will be involved and plan from there. I don't have a problem with permission i just want to ensure that i won't cause damage to the foundation that will lead to leaking or drafting. I also want to be safe where they aren't going to just fall out of the wall. Breaking cement or cabinetry or its contents etc.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Using Tap Con screws should hold it up fine.
I think if I was the installer I would assemble the cabinets together before trying to install them.
The wall your trying to install them on is not going to be flat, so as the cabinets are being installed there going to follow the wall and gaps will show up at the stiles.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-22-2012 at 11:59 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Thats really great man. I was going to ask about what kind of screws to use.
Does tap con make different diameters and lengths i'm sure they do.

Can you recommend further. Like 1/4 inch screws or 1/2 inch 1/8th inch screws and length would be important maybe 2 inch or 4?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Could likely reduce the number of holes by using a french cleat to hang them

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote