Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should Absolute Black Counters Have Fissures??

Hi,
I just had some countertops installed today. Tonight when we flipped the overhead lighting on, we noticed what appears to be a fissure in our new countertops. I know natural stone often has fissures, veins, etc. but I was wondering if this was the case for absolute black as well. We only notice it in this one spot.

When you run your finger over it, it is totally smooth and even. Here is the best pic I could take. Is this abnormal?

Thanks in advance.

DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You are correct, natural stone has grain, cracks, and fissures, it matters not what the color is.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes, that's very true...and especially when alking about a 'black' stone and even more specifically a "granite".

Or is it a granite? Volumes have been written about 'black granite' since there are so many that come from the four corners of the globe, some even are real 'black granites', a lot of it fake and doctored to get more money from you...

It comes down to trusting the guy you bought it from. Even then, he might not know if it is real or fake and just bought it form an importer who bought 'black granite' from some distributor somewhere...in other words he didn't have a clue what he bought. So you don't. Nor do we.

Your main contact for this is the guy you bought it from...see some other slabs he has, at different price points. I'm afraid all we can say is buyer beware because natural stones are variable, not man-made. Good luck!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counter, coutertops, fissures, granite