Shopless In CA - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shopless in CA

I am beginning to dabble in woodworking and am trying to build a workshop out of a storage space under my carport.

Whomever built it used 2X4 framing (8' x 12') with tar paper and 1/4" plywood siding on exterior. It's bare on inside and I am putting insulation and plywood covering on inside. A problem I have is that the metal carport collects condensation and drips. I am eliminating the gap between walls and metal carport. I would like to spray the metal with the foam insulation (1" or so) but am opting for the cheaper acoustical tiling on firring strips. Am wondering if the heat from small heater will keep condensation from forming once I get it sealed completely.

First time poster!

Advertisement

hansnlkpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Shopless in CA

Adding a vapor barrier or sealed sheets of foam board might be needed to keep the moisture from reaching the back side of the tin roof.

This is not my area of expertize---Let's see what someone else has to say.

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #3

Shopless in CA

Thanks for the idea.

I'm thinking I'll use that rigid foam on the ceiling across the joists instead of acoustical tile.

To describe it in more detail - it is a sloping corrugated tin roof. The top plate 2X4 is somewhat level and almost 8' high. There is about 4" of space in-between the 2X4s extending across the 8' width and the metal roof. The 1/4" plywood on exterior doesn't quite extend to the metal roof and on one end no attempt to follow the corrugations. I'm sealing all that in the hopes of being able to keep a small heater going and the higher temperature will minimize the condensation during the winter and I can have a room-sized air conditioner in the summer.

I'm going to experiment with a homemade solar collector and radiant floor heating. Temperatures generally stay in the 40's during the winter with a cold snap every now and then.
hansnlkpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Shopless in CA

Good luck with that --If you can post a picture you will get more attention---Everybody likes a picture.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Shopless in CA

Before you go any further, you better check local building codes. Unless you live out in the boonies, I'm willing to bet that the car port is not permitted...especially since it has inclosed sides. There has been a crack down on that in my area...the most common reason is because people are turning their garage into an apartment and renting it out to people who in most cases do not have a legal reason to be in the country.

After the garage is taken up...they build a car port to have some type of garage....and will sometimes even convert it to an extra room.

If you get caught....hefty fine and you have to tear it all down.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Shopless in CA

Not sure where you are in CA but if you are near the central coast (San Jose'ish) check into this. Done.
http://www.sawdustshop.com/index.asp
MajorMedicalBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shopless in CA

These sort of shops are a great concept I think if you just have occasional needs for a shop environment. I am blanking on the name but one has everything from state-of-the art woodworking tools you could never afford to metal working tools, gorgeous 3D printers and so forth.

I also agree you had better checking on building codes before doing this. It was bad in California when I lived there ages ago. I can only imagine now as hungry as the state is for money what fines might be like.

If you can get away with it? In the Bay Area we had 30-40 degree differences (or more) between daytime temperatures and those overnight. And of course the humidity from the fog that rolled in especially in the summer months. Very hard to stop condensation with dew points created.

I doubt a heater would help much. Maybe a large dehumidifier but I doubt it. Best bet might be to make sure you have drainage to carry of the condensation.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
woodworking , workshop