DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sheet Rock

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  iMisspell 
#1 ·
This is just for my information just so I can know,

What kind of sheet rock do i use:

For bedroom walls, Ceilings, basement walls and ceilings, pretty much all around a house.

I know they change the code almost every year, I'm pretty sure we use 5/8" blueboard. For the fire safety. But just wanted to know what kind you use and the thickness of it. Sorry if its a bad question but I'm going to school in a few months just want to get a jump start before I go. Almost all my posts is just so I could know a little more about remodeling.

#2 ·
1/2" regular board is used in most of the applications around here. 5/8" fire rated is used on garage common walls. Some people use 5/8" on 24" span ceilings, but other have suggested 1/2" ceiling board(we always used 1/2" regular and did not have problems.)

BTW, the signature line is a bit much. Dreams are good, but IMO it makes you sound a little arrogant.

#4 ·
upcomingbuilder...One of the best ways i have found to learn is to go to a local barnes and noble and read the books on what you would like to know and then ask specific questions on here. You can go there and read for hours for free to get ideas or learn about things. Glad to see someone so eager to learn.

#6 ·
Ya know, a lot of cities and towns have a public building called a library. Not only can you read for hours, but you can sit down and they will even let you take the books home if you promise to bring them back! :whistling2:

Sorry, I do admit that the barnes and nobel are more likely to have more up to date books, especially if you are researching something where codes are likely to change.

#5 ·
What kind of sheet rock do i use:
For bedroom walls, .
1/2" for residential applications of framing 16" OC.

Ceilings, .
1/2" for Residential applications of framing 16" OC.
Some prefer to use 5/8" because of it's increased rigidity. I don't see the need for it, when framing is 16" OC.

basement walls and ceilings, .

Other options (over standard sheetrock) due to the high moisture content/humidity of basements:
Moisture Resistant (Framing may be required to be closer than 16" OC)
XP Board - Mold and mildew resistant.
Paperless Denshield - Fine Fiberglass mesh facing, requires skim coating surfaces to complete installation.

pretty much all around a house..

I know they change the code almost every year, I'm pretty sure we use 5/8" blueboard. For the fire safety. But just wanted to know what kind you use and the thickness of it. Sorry if its a bad question but I'm going to school in a few months just want to get a jump start before I go. Almost all my posts is just so I could know a little more about remodeling.
Single family homes are 1/2". There is no change for this. Exception: any connected walls/ceilings to an attached garage.

Multi unit (apartments/condos/hotels/2 family separation walls/garage areas connected to main home, etc) = 5/8" Fire rated. Common areas of apts and hotels may require double 5/8".
Each layer of 5/8" gives a 1/2 hour fire-rating. 2 layers = 1 hour.

BTW: Blue board is for Plaster. Standard sheetrock is for drywall. Standard sheetrock is not fire-rated, unless it is labeled/classified as such. "F/R" will be printed on the sheets..

Sheetrock in general: Building Plans will list it as "GWB" - Gypsum Wall Board.

#7 ·
You are correct blondesense, libraries are also a great place to learn and they do offer you books to take home. I go there once in a while but usually i go to Barnes and noble for their selection and they also have couches and chairs for you to sit and read without buying the books.

#8 ·
UpComingBuilder, please don't take this as a jab at you.

With questions like this and your desire to get into the trade; maybe buying yourself a state code book would be help full for you. I bought one about 2 years ago for NY and it was about $60, your local inspector can give you a number to call (atleast mine did). You'll find all kinds of information and questions like what you posted here are in there along with framing and plumbing (dry and wet venting, vent size, drainage pitch, clearance distances in front of shower toilet sink, etc. how high to stub out for drainage inlet, etc.), only thing which is not covered (i think) is electric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.