Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shed and hurricane

We are supposed to get hit by a big storm tomorrow afternoon I think and I never did anchor my shed to the ground. I want to do a quick anchor job tomorrow after work before the wind gets bad. I was thinking of burying a 4x4 on front and back opposite corners and using a lot of concrete and bolting the ends to the shed. Any other tips? This is temporary just to get through the storm if possible btw.

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 120

Shed and hurricane

Lowes and Home Depot have mobil home tie downs like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...EE08A0&first=1

One on each side and install steel cables in an X pattern under the shed on the low side.
It will hold it down and keep it from moving to one side.
No reason not to just leave them in place.
Used 2, cable clips any place it it's attached.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...amps+wire+rope

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Shed and hurricane

If you have time---just dig four post holes near the corners and set L-bolt into the concrete--then run cable over the top of the structure until the storm has passed---

Properly placed you could use the new anchors for permanently affixing the shed when time allows---
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Shed and hurricane

Dog gone---I like Joes suggestion better than mine-----
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Shed and hurricane

How big is the shed and is it on a slab already? If it is on a slab you might be able to rent a ramset and bang in some bolts quickly. With a masonry drill you can also put in more appropriate anchors.

If you are not on a slab, I'd probably get some tie-down screws, put them into the ground as deep as you can around your shed, and run cargo straps over it and cinch them down.

A couple of bags of Quikrete is not going to be enough to hold a shed to the ground if the wind decides to take hold of it.

Good luck.

EDIT: Joecaption has got it right.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Shed and hurricane

Has it ever blown over in any of the other storms that have gone that way, since the shed has been up?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Shed and hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Has it ever blown over in any of the other storms that have gone that way, since the shed has been up?
This storm formally know as hurricane Sandy is supposed to be such a monster that they have nicknamed it Frankenstorm.

This cat 1 hurricane and a northern coldfront are supposed to meet right over New York and then push back into the Great Lakes Region

Button down the hatches
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Shed and hurricane

Every time the news people get in front of the camera, they state that every storm is a monster. First rule, is forget what the idiots that could not pass college without cheating or sleeping with their instructors state. Second, go by your instinct and use common sense, when it comes to securing personal property, and getting stuff in order.

That means, placing stuff in the garage, such as vehicles, getting ice into ice chests or the freezer, setting the fridge to the lowest temps, having canned goods that you can heat up on a stove or grill, filling the vehicles with gas, including the spare cans if you have them, in case you need to run a genset.

Last, pull your head out of your ass and get what you need in case you need to leave, ready. A couple of days change of clothes, medicines if you have them, important papers, laptop and pocket drive.

People seem to think that when hell does freeze, things will be easy and someone will be there to save you. In reality, the only person that can save your butt, is yourself. The only person that can use common sense and quit listening to the bs on tv, radio and in the newspapers, is you.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ThatDaveGuy (10-27-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #9

Shed and hurricane

This storm won't effect me other than blow all the leaves off my lawn onto my neighbours, but I will get some gas. The tank is empty and prices have dropped
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Shed and hurricane

In 7 hours, the price dropped 4 cents here in Central IL for low grade Unleaded. I find it funny that gas has dropped this much, this close to the election here down south of you.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #11

Shed and hurricane

There have been some windy days and the shed has not moved but this will be the first "big" storm since it was built less than a year ago. I will look for those anchors again at Home Depot but last time I checked I could not find them.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #12

Shed and hurricane

My understanding is that dropping gas prices have more to do with the refineries meeting their summer quota and are now preparing "winter gas". Its all about supply and demand now that summer traveling is over.

Not so much the election up here at least, especially since we don't get a presidential vote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Shed and hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
There have been some windy days and the shed has not moved but this will be the first "big" storm since it was built less than a year ago. I will look for those anchors again at Home Depot but last time I checked I could not find them.
All I can say, if you had Bubba and his cousin Billy Bob & other cousin Joe Bob build it, then worry.

If you built it properly and it is sturdy and not moving, don't worry. No need to worry about the little stuff, due the shed can be rebuilt. Just secure everything outside that you can, and make sure the door is secured to the shed, so it does not blow open.

Again, news outlets are known to blow stuff way out of proportion. If you want a real insight, go find someone that is in their 90's, that has been there when the last storms happened that ended up turning out to not be as bad as the idiots on the boob tube are currently making it out to be.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Shed and hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Sorry for the highjack...its what I do best...lol
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 120

Shed and hurricane

The last time I looked they were in the area where the concrete is sold.
M & M also had them at one time.
You could also check at that mobile home place up on 17. There's two, one that sells the homes and another that sells parts for mobil homes in the same building that Stubblefields well drilling is in. (there's a mobile home park in that area to) It's on the right hand side heading toward Newport News.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote