Sheathing - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sheathing

When I install the plywood sheathing do I put it right on the foundation or is it flush with the sill plate?

Advertisement

Hrose77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sheathing

Try not to contact concrete w/ wood, if untreated. Whatever you do, make sure you air seal either inside, outside, or both; that means caulking, EPDM gaskets, and/or taping (use non-hardening materials).

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sheathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrose77 View Post
When I install the plywood sheathing do I put it right on the foundation or is it flush with the sill plate?
The sill plate and rim joist should be in the same plane as the foundation edge. The plywood should extend down past the sill plate ( by an inch or so) to cover the sill plate concrete connection.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Sheathing

I'm I'm extending down past the sill plate then do use a pressure treated strip so avoid rot?
Hrose77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
the Musigician

Sheathing

If the plywood is in contact with the concrete or ground, be sure it's not "just" pressure treated, but pressure treated FOR ground contact!
There IS a difference and inspectors can fail you if the proper material is not used and you will have to do it all again.

DM
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sheathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The sill plate and rim joist should be in the same plane as the foundation edge. The plywood should extend down past the sill plate ( by an inch or so) to cover the sill plate concrete connection.
Ron: What is the need to extend the plywood if you have an EPDM gasket under the sill plate?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

Sheathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Ron: What is the need to extend the plywood if you have an EPDM gasket under the sill plate?
It keeps wind driven rain from getting through. The poured foundations are sometimes a little wavier then the sill seal thickness. This allows air infiltration as well as water.
It also looks neater.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,052

Sheathing

Add a metal flashing under the sheathing as any contact with the concrete (moisture reservoir) wall could wick to the wood. Bad enough the p.t. mudsill contacts the sheathing without a capillary break; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

Remember, #5; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...9_3_sec017.htm

Gary

Advertisement