Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Shady Kitchen Company - Help

I have paid a deposit on a new kitchen and was led to believe it had wooden doors on the cupboards. A surveyor came the next day and we were told that the doors were not wood; he made a phone call and said we could have the wood doors Our kitchen is due to be installed next week and we have had a call to say the doors would be extra.

They already have the deposit, what do we do in this situation?

vicky1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Do you have a written contract that lists the features of the cabinets you thought were ordered?

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #3

Yes but the surveyor changed it (we don't have that copy), but we have the first copy with the actual specs
Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Building and plumbing

does it say that the cabinets would be wood?
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

What exactly did the surveyor change,and for what reason?
Was this after the original contract was signed,and did he have you initial any changes?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #6

no but when they came out we said we wanted painted wood and he gave us a book and said which cupboards would you like there was no mention of the fact that they were not wood
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds like after the fact you asked for painted wood, so he made the change for you, and there's an extra charge. I don't understand why that's a problem.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
What exactly did the surveyor change,and for what reason?
Was this after the original contract was signed,and did he have you initial any changes?
we asked him if the cupboard doors were wood he said none of the kitchens in the book were wood, he than showed us an other book and asked over the phone if we could have the wood doors this was agreed. we had to change our sink and handles becouse the ones picked were out of a book they no longer use. the surveyor made the changes and my husband signed the copy which the surveyor kept
Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Sounds like after the fact you asked for painted wood, so he made the change for you, and there's an extra charge. I don't understand why that's a problem.
when the change was made there was no mention of the fact the price would change, the price quoted was what we would expect to pay for wood not a cheaper alternative,
Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky1989 View Post
we asked him if the cupboard doors were wood he said none of the kitchens in the book were wood, he than showed us an other book and asked over the phone if we could have the wood doors this was agreed. we had to change our sink and handles becouse the ones picked were out of a book they no longer use. the surveyor made the changes and my husband signed the copy which the surveyor kept

This is where you should have received a copy of the contract.If your husband signed without reading the contract,then maybe you'll have to accept the cabinet price increase.
It's a tough call and could go either way in court,I'm not up on the legal aspects and you probably want it to go that far.
But,by law,you had three days to back out on the contract.If you weren't left a copy,this could be your out.
First thing to do is try and talk to those involved and express your concerns.A good reputable Co.will bend over backwards to satisfy a customer,even if it's a halfway mark.
Or call an attorney for a quick sit down.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

How much $$$ more are the wood vs. whatever the other doors are made of?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #12

First thing first, you need to make sure the documentation you have is an actual contract and not an estimate. If itís an estimate, it will say some ware on there that it is so. An estimate normally does not constitute a contract but, the laws may be different state-by-states.

If the contractor amended the terms of the contract, you would have to sign and/or initial the changes to indicate your agreement to those amendments. You are also required to recive a copy of those changes. However, in some states, Payment for services may be considered as agreement to a contract. You would need to consult a lawyer for this information.

As far as a deposit goes, this is not necessarily the full price. In fact, it is normal to pay a deposit or a percentage or the material costs. This price may or may not be required to be in your contract. Once again, it all depends on the state laws.

I hope I was able to help.

Good Luck!

Wolfpatch is offline   Reply With Quote