Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Setting a Doulble wide on Foundation

I bought a 10 year old 28X80 double wide house.I had the foundation built and had 5 pilasters built, rod and cored.I dont have any foundation prints for the house since it was a bank repo and was only on pilers.I called the Manufacture and they told me as long as I space out the Beams evenly every 12ft that should be plenty of support.I was told that 8 on 18lbs beams were supposed to be used but I want to clear span the Beams with out post jacks and 8 on 18s wont work,the will sag.Can anyone tell me what size beam will work with out post jacks.I priced 10" 26lbs per ft,will these work with out post jacks? If not I might as well just go with the cheaper 8s and buy the post jacks.The span is 25ft 10".Is a H beam stronger or will I beams work and be stronger??I cant purchase any beams until I can find out and the beams are holding up progress.The company I might be buying from cant tell me either.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Mr.clockface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

You should have an engineer in your area look at it, or have the home's manufacturer size the beams. You're talking about a large liability there. I'm licensed and insured, but for something like this I'd never make a recommendation without laying my eyes on it and doing the all of the calculations. Way too much liability.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
You should have an engineer in your area look at it, or have the home's manufacturer size the beams. You're talking about a large liability there. I'm licensed and insured, but for something like this I'd never make a recommendation without laying my eyes on it and doing the all of the calculations. Way too much liability.
How would you calculate the strength of a Beam?
Mr.clockface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

A beam's strength is already known. What needs to be calculated are the loads for the entire house, then you pick the beam. Done properly with care, the process takes a few hours. The loads start at the roof (wind, snow, rain), then there are dead loads, live loads, seismic loads, etc. Then all of those load paths should be developed and looked at. Then there are load cases that have to be developed and applied, then the fasteners.

If it were my house and I wasn't a structural engineer, and knowing what I know about liability, I would get the manufacturer to make that call on the beam size in writing. And it probably wouldn't cost anything because all of that work I described was already done. They probably have an engineer either on staff or retained, and they'd have to have properly doped out the original structure anyway.

I'm sure you're not winging it, but for anyone reading this in the future, this is not something to be "winged" or guestimated.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote