Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Separation Crack Repair pre: finishing basement

I am finishing my basement walls. I have a typical seperation crack forming in the concrete that lets "dampness" in maybe once per year. The crack is miniscule (barely a seperation in teh concrete) and runs about 6' down the concrete.

Before I put insulation over the wall should I bother sealing this somehow?

Would I try to chisel it wide and put in hydraulic cement or is there a better approach since the crack is so tiny?

Rob1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #2

Interior repairs of concrete foundations have an expiration date and are not as effective as the exterior solution. But no where near as expensive. I repaired a hirline crack in the foundation of a 1938 built house using the method you described. The repair lasted 8 years. I repaired it again and it held for 6 years and then I sold the house. I drilled out the crack down to the floor to a depth of 2" and filled it with Waterplug.
I had no issue with the repair timeframe.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Ron did a pretty nice job on that if it lasted 8 years. I doubt most DIY interior repairs will last that long, particularly in a climate where the ground freezes in the winter. Call a pro and have it repaired from the outside.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
DIY staff

The epoxy injection crack repair companies have proven successful on the jobs that I have seen.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

So my first pass at this didn't work that well. I chiselled out a 'v' then bought the wrong stuff... then found "Quickcrete Water Stop Cement, Commercial Grade" (see link below). Instructions seem to say to chisel an inverted v. My question now... how do you do that without chipping away the concrete? I try to make the /\ but chip away the outer corners so at best I have a | | and typically a regular v \/. Anyone with advice on how to do it without just making a wider crack? Do I need a super small chisel, or a certain type of chisel, do I wet/treat the concrete first or something?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Last edited by Rob1976; 02-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1976 View Post
So my first pass at this didn't work that well. I chiselled out a 'v' then bought the wrong stuff... then found "Quickcrete Water Stop Cement, Commercial Grade" (see link below). Instructions seem to say to chisel an inverted v. My question now... how do you do that without chipping away the concrete? I try to make the /\ but chip away the outer corners so at best I have a | | and typically a regular v \/. Anyone with advice on how to do it without just making a wider crack? Do I need a super small chisel, or a certain type of chisel, do I went the concrete or something?
Use a hammer drill with a 5/8" -3/4" masonary bit. Keep the crack in the middle of the bit width. Make a dotted line down the wall with the holes. The gap should be a little wider the the bit. After you've drilled the spaced holes go back and drill holes in the spaces you've left. Then clean the edges with a chisel.
Flush the channel clean of stone dust and remove any pooled water.
This next part is critical to any success with the leak. You must mix and fill the channel in one continuous action. You don't mix this stuff, fill a part and walk away. It should be one continuous "pour" so to speak from bottom to top.
Mix a small batch to see how fast it dries. It's usually under 60 seconds, sometimes closer to 30 sec. Depends on which company you use.
You will need some buckets of water to clean off the tools and your hands between batches.
The sequence is, mix fill clean, mix fill clean, etc..
Wet the channel before you start so the moisture from the water plug isn't wicked into the foundation.
I used my hands to push it into the channel.(Masons are rolling their eyes right about now) and then I used a taping knife to slice off the extra as soon as possible.
It's sort of like playing, "Beat the clock" with cement.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Rob1976 (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the good info.. I'll be trying this tonight so hopefully it turns out ok... seems pretty straightforward.

R.

Tags
seperation crack repair