Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

selling without OAK

Here is a question...I am planning on selling next fall or spring, everything in the house is oak, (Trim, doors, cabinets etc...) Does it all have to be matching in every room and is oak still a HUGE seller? I hate it....Our house was built in 94 and we loved it then..But now, 16 years later and looking to sell, what do buyers want these days? all oak or painted trim.
Thanks for any answers that would help!!

citygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

selling without OAK

most of the houses, in my area of MA anyway, have hardwood flooring in major living areas like living room and dining areas. The trim is almost always painted white. I would say of the last 50 new houses ive been in in the past 5 years about 45 probably had white trim work. Oak floors are not as popular as they once were for new floor choices because there are much more varieties at affordable prices. If your house is all oak that is fine too, the right seller will come along. I also find that brass fixtures and hardware are definitely out.brushed nickel is the new thing.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

selling without OAK

I wouldn't think that ripping up the oak floors and replacing them with something els would improve the value of your house enough to justify the expense unless the oak is in really bad shape. Even then it would probably be more worthwhile to have the floors sanded and refinished.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
citygirl (02-14-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

selling without OAK

Don’t paint the Oak just because you don’t like it anymore, let the new owner decide.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
citygirl (02-14-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #5

selling without OAK

I'm confused - the OP didn't actually mention oak flooring. Maybe she can clarify?

And FWIW I would say leave it as is - once you paint those things, it cannot be undone easily (sometimes at all).
klumbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klumbsy For This Useful Post:
citygirl (02-14-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

selling without OAK

Yeah, don't paint the oak trim. If ever a wood looked bad painted it's oak. To look decent, the pores would have to be filled to get a smooth surface.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike in Arkansas For This Useful Post:
citygirl (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #7

selling without OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
most of the houses, in my area of MA anyway, have hardwood flooring in major living areas like living room and dining areas. The trim is almost always painted white. I would say of the last 50 new houses ive been in in the past 5 years about 45 probably had white trim work. Oak floors are not as popular as they once were for new floor choices because there are much more varieties at affordable prices. If your house is all oak that is fine too, the right seller will come along. I also find that brass fixtures and hardware are definitely out.brushed nickel is the new thing.
Thanks, I do find your reply most helpful Actually, just my trim, doors, cabinets and closet doors in every room are oak. The main flooring is mostly a porcelain/granite (24x24tiles). We have a son in a wheelchair so the flooring in the main level is all the same. That natural stone look, for durability. everything else is Oak
citygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

selling without OAK

Personally, I love a natural wood look. Po)

Oak trimming her new foyer.

I agree with the others, leave it and let the new owners decide. They might love it!

DM
citygirl (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,982

selling without OAK

I would talk to your realestate agent and see what sells better in your area. Personally I like natural wood, not painted. It's much easier for the seller to paint it later than to strip it if real wood is prefered.
citygirl (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #10

selling without OAK

If there's an issue, you can always include a painting allowance in the contract. If I was looking at two houses and one had oak and one had paint I'd buy the oak in a minute. There's no rule that says everything in every room has to be identical.

But I also like brass more than brushed nickel, so what do I know ,
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

selling without OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post

But I also like brass more than brushed nickel, so what do I know ,
Me too....

DM
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

selling without OAK

I agree with most in that painting it will always diminish the value at sale time. If I were searching for a house, as others have said, I can always paint what I want...but I certainly don't want to strip paint off to make it wood again.

I'd try hardware changes first...perhaps you'll like it more with some accents.

You could also try new counterops or things like that which are much different than you have now. Perhaps going from a light to a dark countertop may add the spoof you're looking for. Without photos, it's difficult to say for sure.

I don't mean to harp, but imo, painting nice wood is almost a crime to me
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

selling without OAK

What sells/holds value more varies greatly with each area. And of course the potential buyer. In my area hardwood floors have made a big come back, and people are pulling up the carpet and refinishing them.

Although you don't have hardwood floors, Oak doors and trim may still be very popular in your area. Probably best to ask real estate people in your area what is selling at this moment. While keeping in mind that it could change by the time you sell in a few years.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #14

selling without OAK

There is a practical aspect to consider too. Even if you were to decide to paint all your trim/cabinets/doors white, that is a huge/difficult/expensive project. Painting just some of the trim is tough too because you have to pick good transition points and it could very easily look tacked-on and amateurish. Whatever time and money you spend you almost certainly will not see returned in the sale.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote