Self Leveling Compound On Hard Wood Floors?? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Self Leveling compound on hard wood floors??

hello,
My house sits on a slab that has shifted slightly over the years and at one end of my house the parque floors have pulled away and the floor is clearly sagging. I am having carpet installed over the floors but want a quick fix before I have them lay it. Someone suggested priming the wood floors with a special latex primer and them pouring self leveling compound right on top of the hardwoods. Since the parque is totally ruined and will never be used again this sounds like a great plan to me, but the instructions on the self leveler states that it is not recommended to pour directly onto wood flooring. Does anyone know if this will work, at least for a few years until I can address the situation properly? I plan on starting this project in 2 days so any info would be greatly appreciated. I bought the home depot self leveler...can't remember the name...maybe levelquick??
Thanks,
Tbizzy2

Advertisement

Tbizzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not a good idea. Wood flooring always expands and contracts seasonally, and will continue to do so even after you put self leveling compound/cement on it. That isn't a good thing for the leveling compound, as it doesn't like to expand and contract. The leveler will only be as stable as the substrate it is sitting on.

The best course of action is removal of the hardwood, and installation of a solid plywood subfloor, which is much more dimensionally stable.

Not what you're wanting to hear, but it is good advice.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hey thanks!
It isn't what I wanted to hear, but I thought that would be the case. Can I tear our the parque and just pour the leveler right onto the slab? Can't the carpet company lay carpet right onto the conrete/leveler?
Thanks,
Tbizzy2
Tbizzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

That's what I'd do. The carpet installers can lay carpet over concrete almost as easily as they can over wood. Installing the tack strips differently is about the only difference.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard woods , quick fix , sagging floor , self leveler , self leveling compund