Self Leveling Cement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Self Leveling cement

I have an enclosed patio, about 14' x 20' The slab was sloped for drainage, starting even with the house slab, and dropping about 1-1/2".

I'm planning to upgrade this to living space, and I need to level the floor, not because it's particularly noticeable, but because the low side is even with the exterior concrete deck, and even with the exterior drain, water sometimes 'flows in'. I don't trust just a raised sill to protect the future flooring.

Is there a self leveling cement, that can just be mixed and poured, that's good from 0" to 1-1/2"? I've never used any; it's always sounded "too good to be true" . The floor is painted, and I plan to grind it to bare cement.

Thanks...

Gary

Advertisement

Gary Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 504

Self Leveling cement

There are some self levelling floor screeds that can be poured over concrete floors. Here is an example of one type.
http://www.flo-screed.co.uk/flo-screed-video.htm
Resin screeds can also be used for very thin screeds.
http://www.ryebrook.co.uk/floor_screeds.htm

Advertisement

Last edited by stuart45; 09-26-2010 at 04:59 AM.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-26-2010)
Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Self Leveling cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland View Post
I have an enclosed patio... I'm planning to upgrade this to living space, and I need to level the floor....
Something to keep in mind: once this becomes "living space" a whole different set of code requirements may (will, in the communities where I inspect, here in northern IL) apply, including the need for a foundation far more substantial than a patio slab.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #4

Self Leveling cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Something to keep in mind: once this becomes "living space" a whole different set of code requirements may (will, in the communities where I inspect, here in northern IL) apply, including the need for a foundation far more substantial than a patio slab.
Michael:

Three of the four walls enclosing the space are exterior walls of the house, so I only have to deal with the footing of one wall. The lower three feet of the wall is 12" thick stone, so it may have a substantial footing.

Gary
Gary Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Self Leveling cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland View Post
Michael:

Three of the four walls enclosing the space are exterior walls of the house, so I only have to deal with the footing of one wall. The lower three feet of the wall is 12" thick stone, so it may have a substantial footing.

Gary
What do you base this assumption upon?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #6

Self Leveling cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
What do you base this assumption upon?

What the city told me.

Gary

Advertisement