Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Share |

Self-drilling drywall anchors breaking

I have some of these Snapskru drywall anchors from Toggler: http://www.toggler.com/products/snapskru/overview.php and they sometimes break when I try to screw them in. For some reason as I'm screwing I suddenly feel a lot of resistance and they stop screwing in and then the top twists off the screw part. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My only thought is that I'm not puncturing the cardboard/paper part of the drywall first by pushing in the drywall anchor a bit before I start screwing. I can't think of anything else I could do differently.

djgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Are you sure that you are not drilling through RockLathe?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

That sounds similar to what could happen if you were hitting lumber under the sheet rock.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure it's just sheetrock/gyproc/drywall. I'm also pretty sure there is no stud there. After pulling out the broken anchor, I could confirm there was nothing behind it.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #5

I've install hundreds of those and never once had one snap off even using an impact screw gun so somethings wrong.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I've install hundreds of those and never once had one snap off even using an impact screw gun so somethings wrong.
Do you always drill with a power drill? I often use a manual screwdriver, mostly because I'm hesitant to use power as I feel like that will be more likely to lead to breakage. If you are using a power drill or impact screw gun, do you use high or low RPM? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
jschaben

I'm in the camp that thinks you're hitting something. I just install them with a battery powered drill but have the clutch turned way down.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

^Agreed, if you're absolutely sure it's hollow back it out and try another.

Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Household Handyman

I try not to use these type anchors as I have broken so many doing the installation. It does seem that when I install them with a Phillips screwdriver they do not tend to break, but with a drill at low RPM's and low torque they tend to break off the little starting bit part.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #10

My trick with these is to take your phillips screwdriver and poke it through the drywall first (beating/screwing the driver directly into the drywall), then you can use that as the pilot hole and it goes in perfectly. If not, at least half of them break on me.

tempmj is offline   Reply With Quote