Security Cameras - General DIY Discussions - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,400
Rewards Points: 2,462
Default

Security cameras


Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
With no actual cases cited, it's just anecdotal bull.
Since you are unable to do the search yourself, here you go:

http://www.uvu.edu/wrs/trainingmaterials/recording.html

This is Florida's law, but applies in other states also:

"" Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03: All parties must consent to the recording or the disclosure of the contents of any wire, *censored* or electronic communication in Florida. Recording or disclosing without the consent of all parties is a felony, unless the interception is a first offense committed without any illegal purpose, and not for commercial gain, or the communication is the radio portion of a cellular conversation. Such first offenses and the interception of cellular communications are misdemeanours. State v. News-Press Pub. Co., 338 So. 2d 1313 (1976), State v. Tsavaris, 394 So. 2d 418 (1981). "

In Florida, it is illegal to specifically video tape someone without their permission, unless by law enforcement. (supposedly; this was not backed up with evidence."

Also see http://definitions.uslegal.com/v/voyeurism/ also http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsear...1998&Item=8285

Advertisement

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,457
Rewards Points: 4,560
Default

Security cameras


Yes, they say its illegal to record audio. Which is not what the OP said he is doing.

They also say it is illegal to record someone while they are in their home/room where privacy(or disrobing) is expected. Which is also not what the OP is doing.

Non of the links you posted apply to the OP's stated intentions.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
wkearney99 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Bill Kearney
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,979
Rewards Points: 1,126
Default

Security cameras


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Non of the links you posted apply to the OP's stated intentions.
Nor is quoting a law anywhere near the same as quoting an actual case, in the OP's jurisdiction, with the same factors involved.

Again, tired of being wrong up on the high horse yet?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #19
Experienced HVAC Tech
 
HVAC1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 357
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Security cameras


So just to through a wrench

If your security system records a video of your neighbor undeniably murdering his wife and children is it worth the consequences to turn it into the police or will that evidence be withheld because it was illegally obtained and you end up with a fine and possibly a murderous neighbor after you now?
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #20
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,400
Rewards Points: 2,462
Default

Security cameras


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Yes, they say its illegal to record audio. Which is not what the OP said he is doing.

They also say it is illegal to record someone while they are in their home/room where privacy(or disrobing) is expected. Which is also not what the OP is doing.

Non of the links you posted apply to the OP's stated intentions.
You need to go back and re-read those links. You missed some information in there, and made up your own assumption by your misinterpretation of what you thought that you saw in those links, which was not the point of posting them.

To make it short, those links state regardless if there is no audio, some states have laws on the books, that it is illegal to catch any property that is not your in the visual line of site of the recording or video device.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #21
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,400
Rewards Points: 2,462
Default

Security cameras


Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
So just to through a wrench

If your security system records a video of your neighbor undeniably murdering his wife and children is it worth the consequences to turn it into the police or will that evidence be withheld because it was illegally obtained and you end up with a fine and possibly a murderous neighbor after you now?
If the court finds out that there are cameras in the area, they can subpoena the recordings or even secure the recording device itself, and enter as evidence for proof of what may have happened during the incident.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #22
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,884
Rewards Points: 2,220
Default

Security cameras


Gregzoll, get a life.

This thread's inquiry was about the results of an intrusion of ductwork pertaining to an hvac system and nothing more.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
kree (11-10-2013), wkearney99 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Member
 
PoleCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,549
Rewards Points: 780
Default

Security cameras


The whole looking in a window thing is gender biased. If my neighbor lady disrobes in front of a window in plain sight and I look.... I am a lewd pervert voyeur. If I disrobe in front of a window in plain view and she looks....I am a lewd pervert exhibitionist. Blinds and curtains go along way toward preserving my reputation.
__________________
"Ask me anything. If I don't know the answer I'll make something up."
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,457
Rewards Points: 4,560
Default

Security cameras


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You need to go back and re-read those links. You missed some information in there, and made up your own assumption by your misinterpretation of what you thought that you saw in those links, which was not the point of posting them.

To make it short, those links state regardless if there is no audio, some states have laws on the books, that it is illegal to catch any property that is not your in the visual line of site of the recording or video device.
Now its "some states" and not all states like you said in other post.

Plus, the OP of the other thread never said they were going to be recording/pointing the camera that it catches anyone elses property. You just decided that yourself.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,651
Rewards Points: 2,616
Default

Security cameras


I 'think' I'm qualified to answer this one....

The is no violation given the above situation. The homeowner can put as many cameras in his house as he wants.

As long as what he records is a view that he would normally have, there is no violation. It basically boils down to what the 'expectation of privacy' is for the other party.

However...if the guy puts a camera on his roof pointing down into the neighbors yard....now we have an issue.

Note....the FL law is specifically talking about situations where there is an expectation of privacy.

A couple of privacy examples.

You walk by a house on the sidewalk and see the curtains on the house open and a guy standing there exposing himself....you take a picture and call the police.....the guy can be arrested and your picture could be used in court....why? Because you had a legal right to be on that sidewalk and what you took a photo of was plainly visible. When the guy opened the curtains and stood there....he basically lost his expectation of privacy.

Using the above....but now you walk up to the house and the curtains are closed...except for a small opening in the curtains. You can take a picture....but there is no crime of the guy exposing himself....because the curtains were closed he had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Also important to note...if a person has to take any actions in order to take a picture or view something that would not otherwise normally be visible....now your violating someones privacy.

Example....you call the police because you think your neighbor is growing pot in the back yard. The fence is high so the cop has to use a ladder to look over the top of the fence....sorry....no can do....because the fence was high, the neighbor had an 'expectation of privacy'. However, if the fence is low enough to look over without any assistance....well...someone is going to jail if there is pot plants back there.....(except in CA and CO)

Now....recording of conversations.....lots of variables here. If your out in the open with other people around....well....it boils down to what the other persons expectation of privacy is....if your on a crowded buss....where anyone else could hear the same conversation (even if the guy is whispering), no expectation of privacy.

So....once again...if the OP has cameras in areas where he could have the same view as a person.....perfectly legal.....he could even have a camera trained on the neighbors window.....creepy....but legal. And he can record audio.....and long as the equipment is on the recording persons property.

Side note....when it comes to cops impersonating someone for the purpose of trying to catch a crime....there are 2 people a cop can never impersonate....a lawyer and a priest.....
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
daveplot (11-10-2013), ToolSeeker (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #26
Member
 
PoleCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,549
Rewards Points: 780
Default

Security cameras


It took awhile for me to figure out that last comment. But it makes perfect legal sense. Anything you say to a priest or a lawyer is in confidence.
__________________
"Ask me anything. If I don't know the answer I'll make something up."
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 35
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Security cameras


What the OP is wanting to do, is pure and simple intrusion of rights on another party. They are not using the cameras for watching their own personal private property, they are using it to capture the comings and goings of a private individual without their consent, and again can be in deep doo-doo if it goes to court.

End of discussion, case closed.""

Wowza!
Ok, now you are just making unfounded accusations. You continue to write about initial assumptions you had that were wrong. Is running wires into ductwork for only 6 inches against Code (in MY home..lol) If it is, that's the information I'd like to hear....not your legal and psych ramblings since you are not a lawyer nor a psychologist.

If you CAREFULLY read what I, the OP said, I am watching for property line incursions, watching the property line. This SHOULD have been the END of the discussion...lol!

Again, please READ. I am not running wires through ductwork, only into the floor register and into the ductwork for 6 inches to avoid the floor joists and then it punches out into the unfinished basement. This took 5 seconds with an old spade bit, versus bending and unscrewing ductwork.

Oh yeah, if it helps you, the neighbors installed security cameras 3 months ago!

They are in dome enclosures so they may be peering into my windows...but oh well. Cameras that can see anything that someone walking on the sidewalk could is not illegal. I'm thinking of, wait for it..... CURTAINS!
If I am mistaken please list the exact statutes, than maybe I'll sue my neighbor! :-D

I have cameras on the front of my home already and do not have time to finish the rest of the house until next year.

It was imperative for the local Code Enforcement that I catch them in the act...oh the act of dumping trash on my lawn...keep your mind out of the gutter, er ductwork :-)

Having wires running on the floor is a safety hazard. Now there may be a discussion if the 6 inches of wire in the duct will get hot enough to melt the rubber coating on those 6 inches of wire...that is more interesting to me for your opinion not these other unfounded and just strange accusations.

Last edited by kree; 11-10-2013 at 12:32 PM.
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
Experienced HVAC Tech
 
HVAC1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 357
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Security cameras


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
Example....you call the police because you think your neighbor is growing pot in the back yard. The fence is high so the cop has to use a ladder to look over the top of the fence....sorry....no can do....because the fence was high, the neighbor had an 'expectation of privacy'. However, if the fence is low enough to look over without any assistance....well...someone is going to jail if there is pot plants back there.....(except in CA and CO) .....
Actually you can still get in trouble for growing pot without a permit here in Colorful Colorado. We only passed recreational use and consumption such as in pills or baked goods, for adults 21 and over. And city's can still ban it in certain areas of town such as outdoor shopping malls or location with many kids present
We aren't quite as Rocky Mountain High as you may have heard

Was all that flooring we had in September on the news for you guys or did no one know outside of CO?
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,457
Rewards Points: 4,560
Default

Security cameras


As far as melting the wire insulation. Only if your furnace has a major malfunction. The highest temp limit setting on a furnace(and generally only this high on oil furnaces) is 210F at the bonnet.

Advertisement

__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
kree (11-11-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wired vs wireless security cameras (surveillance systems) ohman General DIY Discussions 18 01-19-2014 08:40 PM
Security System (Cameras) rogerusp Electrical 4 07-16-2013 05:37 AM
Security screen door dangerp Carpentry 4 09-22-2010 08:02 PM
Analog Vs. Digital Cameras genner Home Theater 5 04-15-2009 03:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts