Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Security cameras

Has anyone even noticed that what the OP is suggesting, not only borders on stalking, but is illegal. If their neighbor took the to court, the OP would not only be classified as a predator, but would also be subjected to a court ordered psychological evaluation.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Has anyone even noticed that what the OP is suggesting, not only borders on stalking, but is illegal. If their neighbor took the to court, the OP would not only be classified as a predator, but would also be subjected to a court ordered psychological evaluation.
Laws vary from state to state. Some people have set up cameras similar to what the OP is describing. And have had the footage view in court as evidence against the neighbor. And have never had a charge placed against them.

3 of my cameras catch parts of my neighbors properties. And their is no law against it.

What the OP is/wants to do, may be perfectly legal in his state.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Laws vary from state to state. Some people have set up cameras similar to what the OP is describing. And have had the footage view in court as evidence against the neighbor. And have never had a charge placed against them.

3 of my cameras catch parts of my neighbors properties. And their is no law against it.

What the OP is/wants to do, may be perfectly legal in his state.
The OP is implying that they are placing them in some else's domicile. Right there, it does not matter what state you are in, it is a clear cut and dry case of stalking, along with filming inside their domicile, without the consent of the other party.

Placing cameras to watch over your private party is one thing. Placing hidden cameras without the other party knowing, not only inside a structure, but within their private residence is breaking the law.

This topic should never got to where it is even at this point, since it threw up all kinds of Red flags, right from the start.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Security cameras

WTH are you on about? He posted they're going in ducts in HIS OWN HOME.
Quote:
I'm thinking of temporarily punching a quarter size hole in ductwork in my home
Lack of reading comprehension, immediately jumping to wrong conclusions, THAT should be throwing up MORE red flags.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #5

Security cameras

I don't see how anyone could ever be prosecuted for having cameras set up on a window sill in their own home. It is like saying you can't sit there and look out the window. I understand how hiding cameras in the girls locker room is a major no-no but monitoring the outside of your neighbors house is no different than looking at it from the street or your yard or anywhere else outside. YOUR OUTSIDE.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #6

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
The OP is implying that they are placing them in some else's domicile. Right there, it does not matter what state you are in, it is a clear cut and dry case of stalking, along with filming inside their domicile, without the consent of the other party. Placing cameras to watch over your private party is one thing. Placing hidden cameras without the other party knowing, not only inside a structure, but within their private residence is breaking the law. This topic should never got to where it is even at this point, since it threw up all kinds of Red flags, right from the start.
Like you always say, read the full post.
kree (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Security cameras

Quote:
The OP is implying that they are placing them in some else's domicile. Right there, it does not matter what state you are in, it is a clear cut and dry case of stalking, along with filming inside their domicile, without the consent of the other party.
He is placing them inside his home.

It is possible that he rents the area out that will be under watch. To the " crazy neighbor". But he has not said that.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #8

Security cameras

Wow, just wow. Talk about confusing the issue.

This is MY home, as you could infer the cameras will be on MY window sill inside MY home taking out the window, a window that anyone could look out of.
We all live here, no renters or transients .. Unbelievable this came up but perhaps I was unclear. :-0

I mention about putting wires in the ducts, MY ductwork, and then later in the eaves, and then they being on MY window sill the wife will not tolerate them for long, perhaps until the end of winter.

Unlike some in government, I do not use the NSA! My neighbors... I'm not even going to explain how they breach MY property line and why... Since some other strange accusation may occur.

I think I have gotten all the good ideas from this seemingly innocuous post.
Seriously, I appreciate all the comments, even the funny ones.
No hard feelings, just please read especially the first post in any thread before calling for psych tests and police action. I'm going to go sip from my big gulp right now and see if I got any insurance cancellation notices. :-)

Last edited by kree; 11-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by kree View Post
Wow, just wow. Talk about confusing the issue.

This is MY home, as you could infer the cameras will be on MY window sill inside MY home taking out the window, a window that anyone could look out of.
We all live here, no renters or transients .. Unbelievable this came up but perhaps I was unclear. :-0

I mention about putting wires in the ducts, MY ductwork, and then later in the eaves, and then they being on MY window sill the wife will not tolerate them for long, perhaps until the end of winter.

Unlike some in government, I do not use the NSA! My neighbors... I'm not even going to explain how they breach MY property line and why... Since some other strange accusation may occur.

I think I have gotten all the good ideas from this seemingly innocuous post.
Seriously, I appreciate all the comments, even the funny ones.
No hard feelings, just please read especially the first post in any thread before calling for psych tests and police action. I'm going to go sip from my big gulp right now and see if I got any insurance cancellation notices. :-)
You do not need to go through running the wires through ductwork. Use wireless cameras. And thank you for clearing up that they will be for outside security.

Still do not understand where and why you would want to run the wiring through the ductwork.

When you first posted, you came off as wanting to place the cameras inside the ducts, which again fall into the area of unwarranted spying, which can get you in trouble.

When I put up my front view camera, which also catches three properties across the street from my house, I was required by my city to inform those property owners, because my city sees it as unwarranted spying without permission of said property owner.

As I stated in my previous post, you have to be careful when using security cameras, due to some people will file a grievance against you in court.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post

Like you always say, read the full post.
I did read the full post, and it came off as they were doing something illegal.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Bill Kearney

Security cameras

Quote:
As I stated in my previous post...
The one where you got the situation entirely WRONG? That one? Nice attempt to avoid the egregious mis-read there... High horses are tough to come down off of, aren't they?

As for grievances, no doubt it's already a grievance issue when he mentioned crazy neighbor.
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
The one where you got the situation entirely WRONG? That one? Nice attempt to avoid the egregious mis-read there... High horses are tough to come down off of, aren't they?

As for grievances, no doubt it's already a grievance issue when he mentioned crazy neighbor.
That is the OP opinion about the neighbor. Again, as for placing the cameras by using the duct work to run the wiring, implies that they are doing something illegal in what they are doing. As for watching their neighbor, you are again opening a huge can of worms, by placing cameras on your property, to spy on your neighbors, without their implied consent.

The neighbor can press charges against the OP for placing the cameras to look on their property, if the neighbor decides to take them to court. The OP would also lose their side of the case, and could be ordered by the court to pay damages, because they are infringing on their neighbor(s) rights for privacy.

Like I stated before, when I placed my camera at the front of my house, I had to go in person to those parties that the camera sees their property in its point of view, and explain my reasoning for placing the camera to watch over my property, but in due cause, their property is also captured in its view.

If any neighbor saw it as intrusion of their personal privacy rights, I would have to make it that either their property was not captured with the camera, or not use it all.

Again, you are opening a huge can of worms, when you start talking placing video cameras inside private residences, or using them to capture day to day goings of private individuals, without their consent.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

Security cameras

Rules vary widely on use of cameras. What may or may not actually apply in one area may well likely NOT apply elsewhere.

Again, dodging your mistake by piling on more likely inapplicable commentary doesn't make you any less wrong, now you're just wrong about /more/ things.

Quit.. while... you're.. behind...
Old 11-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Security cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Rules vary widely on use of cameras. What may or may not actually apply in one area may well likely NOT apply elsewhere.

Again, dodging your mistake by piling on more likely inapplicable commentary doesn't make you any less wrong, now you're just wrong about /more/ things.

Quit.. while... you're.. behind...
The same rules that apply to using a camera in my area on your property, when it is able to view another party private property, applies everywhere else. There is nothing on the books, that gives you exclusive rights to be able to view what other people are doing on their private property, without their exclusive consent.

Suggest you consult an attorney wkearney99, regarding the rights and privileges when you use a security system on your property, and it is able to capture your neighbor(s) happenings, and you have not advised them that you are filming them without their consent.

Cases like this go to court all of the time, and the person that has the security camera on their property, who just happens to be also filming their neighbor(s) happenings without their consent, are either fined by the court and told to take the camera down, or given a cease & desist order by the other party, without going to court, with the notation, that they have to abide by a certain time frame. If the party using the camera is using it to spy on their neighbor, again, the other party can take them to court, if the party in question does not abide by the Cease & desist order.

Again, there is no one part of the country has the right to spy on others, while the other is not able to. You have to again advise other parties when your Security camera captures their property in its line of sight, that you are only using it for watching your personal property, not spying on them. If you cannot prove, or if you deny the other party the privilege of even seeing what your camera is capturing, again, you will be seeing them in court.

What the OP is wanting to do, is pure and simple intrusion of rights on another party. They are not using the cameras for watching their own personal private property, they are using it to capture the comings and goings of a private individual without their consent, and again can be in deep doo-doo if it goes to court.

End of discussion, case closed.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Bill Kearney

Security cameras

Quote:
End of discussion, case closed.
With no actual cases cited, it's just anecdotal bull.

Last edited by wkearney99; 11-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
kree (11-10-2013)