Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

sears snowblower model 536.884680

snowlower wont start, cleaned carb left it in carb cleaner for a day still wont start opened the machine till i saw piston put a little spray and it started for a few seconds but it wont start on its own it has an electric start starter cranks engine but still can not get it started.

any suggestions, or is my motor shot. how can i tell if it is shot.

thanks

marin001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #2

i am thinking it might be a fuel pump maybe it is a clogged filter is it possible the carb float or needle valve is not opening?

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Hey marin001.

OK, so if you manually feed the engine fuel by spraying it into the carb, it runs until the fuel is burned off and then quits. If this is what is happening then you need to take the carb off the machine and disassemble it.

Normally you will find that the main jet is clogged, and only a powerful spray of cleaner directly through that jet will clean it out. Other passages may be clogged as well of course. Soaking the carb without taking it apart will only make the outside pretty. Pull the float bowl, clean it out and then go to work on that jet.

Your motor is not shot since you can start it with a manual spray application of fuel.

If you are not comfortable taking a carb apart, it is not expensive to have a local mower/blower shop clean it for you.

It is possible, though unlikely, that you have a fuel filter which has clogged up. You will know whether this is the problem when you pull the fuel line off the carb and drain the tank.

I hope this helps,
HDNewf.
HDNewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin001 View Post
snowlower wont start, cleaned carb left it in carb cleaner for a day still wont start opened the machine till i saw piston put a little spray and it started for a few seconds but it wont start on its own it has an electric start starter cranks engine but still can not get it started.

any suggestions, or is my motor shot. how can i tell if it is shot.

thanks
Was gas left in the blower over the Summer? Possible the needle in the float chamber is gunked up.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote