Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

Share |

Sealing windows

I have a few small gaps on the exterior of my house between the window frames and the bricks. I would like to seal these before winter, but I'm not sure what to use. I would use silicone, but I don't want that wet look. I want it to look like it never had to be fixed. I've seen a sort of mortar-in-a-tube at lowes before. Should I use that? Should I mix my own mortar and use that? Thanks in advance for your help!

Name:  image-2604867595.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  24.1 KB

jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Sealing windows

What do you mean by "Wet Look"? Anything you apply, will look dry within a couple of days.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Sealing windows

I put some silicone around an outlet cover on the brick and where the silicone dried, it has a darker, wet look. I'm just trying to avoid that if possible
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Sealing windows

Still do not mean what you are say by that it looks wet. Anything that you apply is going to have a new look to it for a few weeks, until it cures fully.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

Sealing windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Still do not mean what you are say by that it looks wet. Anything that you apply is going to have a new look to it for a few weeks, until it cures fully.
Silicone sealants normally have a very slick finish even after they are fully cured, I'm sure that's what he's talking about!

Standard caulking is available in several colors including gray. When it dries it has a matte finish which is probably what you're looking for. It stays flexible so it will move with expansion and contraction and would be used the best solution for your problems. Mortar dries rigid and would be more susceptible to cracking during the expansion and contraction closed by temperature changes.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #6

Sealing windows

Find a place that has "OSI", "Quad" caulk in your area -
Color that you like -
Use that - not "Silicone".
Make sure the surfaces are clean and dry.
As stated above - don't use mortar.

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Sealing windows

Mrsradell, I have no problem with using Silicone based caulks, since they stay more flexible, than acrylics. Only way you are going to notice the "slickness" of the caulk, is if you are right up on top of it, about maybe two feet away.